Where to buy live rock?

zboyblue

Market
Reaction score
Tank setup. I'm ready for rock. Would love to have it tonight. Saw a guy in Woodstock area that has some on Craigslist.

Thoughts?

Craig

Pure Reef in Alpharetta has several types of live rock to choose from. Plus it always a bonus to see there two twin 400g DT's :).

I just looked them up and they are already closed today.

What are the thoughts about rock on CL?

The moment I hit send it occurred to me... Display tanks. Duh. Gotta learn all the lingo.

Every store is probably closed this time on a Sunday. Pure opens back up tomorrow at 11am. Plus if you become a member here, you get 10% off your purchases :)

Buying live rock is always risky. You can never be sure what will come with it. But buying it from a trusted source or from a top notch Store lessens it. I am choosing to bleach mine and start with dead rock for that reason. Yes it will take time but I have learned what people say is true. Only bad things happen fast in this hobby. Learn the patients now while you are getting started and it will pay big dividends done the road.

if you buy rock from a store i will be expensive but if you wait you will be able to get it for 1.00 lbs on here.most stores will it for 4.00-10.00 a lbs.how much do you need?

Yeah you don't know what kind of shape that CL rock is in. A lot of stores sell it or you can order dead/man made rock off sites like bulkreefsupply.com (BRS). Pukan is one example... I was amazed at how much life the rock at blue planet had on it....

rdnelson99;985157 wrote: buying live rock is always risky. You can never be sure what will come with it. But buying it from a trusted source or from a top notch store lessens it. I am choosing to bleach mine and start with dead rock for that reason. Yes it will take time but i have learned what people say is true. Only bad things happen fast in this hobby. Learn the patients now while you are getting started and it will pay big dividends done the road.

+1000

LSU_fishFan;985179 wrote: If you buy the CL rock, would it not make a difference if you bleach it?

That would work fine, but people charge more for "live rock" than dry rock.

gacolt;985167 wrote: if you buy rock from a store i will be expensive but if you wait you will be able to get it for 1.00 lbs on here.most stores will it for 4.00-10.00 a lbs.how much do you need?

I've noticed that rock that is $1/lb is usually dense, not good shapes, etc.

Good rock is usually $2/lb

I ended up buying about 90 lbs from a fella named Mike up in Canton. He is on here (forget his screen name but will look it up in my email later). He seems to really know what he is talking about and said he cured it (long periods without light, good eating the bad, etc). I feel pretty good about it. Paid $3 a lb for some and $5 a lb for other. A whole lot cheaper than retail in either case. Will post pics soon!

JDavid;985183 wrote: I've noticed that rock that is $1/lb is usually dense, not good shapes, etc.

Good rock is usually $2/lb
1.00 or 2.00 lb is still better then 9.00 a lbs.

I bought all my LR from Craigslist and I lucked out b/c the 2 people I bought from are actually ARC members. I had no idea at the time either. You mentioned near Woodstock. The guy I bought some from is Mike and he was out that way. He had quite a bit at the time. I last bought some about a month ago. Contact that listing you had in Woodstock. It might be him. It is good, clean rock and it is cured and sitting in water when you buy it.

Back