where to find syringes for killing aiptasia/majano

lenny

Market
Reaction score
Hey folks, title says it all.
I have my first problem with this (in three years now, lol). I have a big ol' Majano that's sprouted up in the very top corner of my tank and I want to nuke it before it hurts something. I know what to use, but I'm not sure where to buy a syringe that will withstand the boiling hot liquid so I can do the deed.

Any suggestions on where to find a sturdy cheap syinge that is local and not mail order? I need to do this tonight....

I use insulin syringes and remove the cap with the hollow needle attachment. I would recommend you use kalk paste instead but that's simply my preference.

You can get the syringes from any pharmacy. They are behind the counter and up to the pharamcists's discretion to dole them out. Try not to look like a druggie :)...

Cool. Thanks folks.
Where does one obtain pickling lime? I have access to kalk and lemon juice atm, and possibly joe's juice.

pickling lime = kalk

Mrs. Wage's is the brand most of us use. It's near the picnic section in most kroger's.

Yay for needles! Kalk works great. I keep some in a small glad container all the time. I have found that large mojanos are pretty resilient to it, though, so multiple nukes may be necessary!

I use the Joe's Juice set (container and syringe and some cool tips). When I ran out of Joe's Juice, I just refill with about 3/4 kalk and RO water for the rest, and then just keep refilling as necessary. The side of the container, syringe, and the tips are all about perfect for the task...

There's an easier way to get rid of majanos -- just put a piece of shell or rubble on top of them, blocking their light.

They will climb out on top of the shell or lr rubble, then you just remove that piece from the tank and you're done -- no worrying about whether you killed it or not, or whether it will spit babies or whatever else might happen.

I tried kalk paste on one of them, and the next day I looked for it and it was gone -- so much so, that I wondered if it walked away and was somewhere else in the tank recovering -- with the above method you know for sure it is gone.

I did buy 2 syringes at the Target Pharmacy for .50 each- I just told them it was for the reef tank, but it felt really weird doing it.

any suggestions on ridding a tank infested? I bet I have 2000-3000 of the little *******s!

Tried Joes, kalk, boiling water... Always seem to come bask 2-fold!

You can also find syringes at any feed store -- near the cattle and horse worming medications.

i guess im licky enough to have never had an aiptasia before.. but i do have a red slime outbreak im treating right now.. :(

chicagoman_35;240188 wrote: I would love to find a natural preditor!

Copperband Butterfly is all I have to say!

Also if you need needles just stop by downtown when they are giving out free needles to the crack junkies.....just look like a crack junkie!

i believe we have a whole box of needles in my garage, if you want i can go looking for them.

Back