Where to put the PH's?

jgoal55

Market
Reaction score
Ok, so I am finally setting up a tank again down here in Miami. I am setting it up for my brother so while its not mine at least it will temporarily relieve my longing to look at a SW tank everyday. Anyway, the tank I am setting up is 37 column. I've attached a sketch. I was wondering what you guys thought the best place too keep PH's would be. I have a Koralia 3, 1, and Nano and I also have a few Aquaclear 50's lying around. I can mix and match so that I have the most appropriate flow. The tank will be softies (shrooms, zoo's, etc).
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
178730=10931-Tank set up.png_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
178730=10931-Tank set up.png_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="Tank set up.png_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

The best I've found in a tank like that would be on the back wall pointing towards the front. You can have them cross, that way the flow will be more random. This way they are off the sides and not in a major view....you can always hide them on the back wall. Can't wait to see pics man!

glxtrix;178767 wrote: The best I've found in a tank like that would be on the back wall pointing towards the front. You can have them cross, that way the flow will be more random. This way they are off the sides and not in a major view....you can always hide them on the back wall. Can't wait to see pics man!

Should they be pointing down or straight across? Also, which PH's would you use?

I would place 2 in the back corners facing the front and crossing each others path. This give a more randum flow to the tank. You can also place some smaller PHs on the front that you can use as "spot" flow for corals that like more flow.

Jgoal55;178781 wrote: Should they be pointing down or straight across? Also, which PH's would you use?

My Tunze 6101s are as high in the back top left and right hand corners as I can make them without them sucking air from the surface. they are on mag mounts, and they criss cross at a horizontal to a 5-10 degree drop down. It is really just the way they hang in the tank. I have them high so they don't directly blow on any frags.

I have a Tunze 6025 Nanaostream on a 20 long and like it.
Dave

Hey guys thanks for the suggestions. I really dont want to buy any new PH's for my brother so id like to use what Ive already got which is 2 Koralia 1's, 1 Koralia Nano, and 2 Aquaclear 50's with Hydor flo director's.

I think if I use 4 of these PH's it should be plenty of flo for a 37 and I think I will arrange as you all have suggested (as shown in the sketch) but the question is which of these PH's do I use: Also, should I alter the shown flow pattern.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
179510=10945-Where to put the PH_s
>
179510=10945-Where to put the PH_s
class="gc-images" title="Where to put the PH_s? - Atlanta Reef Club Forums.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

If you have the bottom 2 pointing straight at the front glass and the top two facing the front, but slightly turned in...you should get a very nice mixed flow pattern in the tank.

do the 2xac50's and the Koralia 3 and 1. That might be too much flow for what you're wanting to keep, but you can always switch them around to see what the sweet spot man be.

Ok cool...and do you think the AC's should be on top w/ the flo director and teh Koralias pointing straight ahead on the bottom or vice versa? Should I even use the flo directors?

Tough call brother man....I wonder if you could "mod" those some how to get a wider flow. I'd say prolly the ac's on the bottom....you still have those caps so they dont suck up sand, right?

Back