Whew...Disaster averted

gwhiz

Market
Reaction score
I just came home from a lunchtime run to the LFS to pick up a few things. While I was there, I picked up a couple of inexpensive thermometers 'cause I only have one digital that I've been moving between my display and QT tanks.

I opened the QT tank to put the thermometer in and it felt like bathwater! :eek:

The heater (100watt EBOJager) was running full tilt and the water was over 90 degrees. Upon removal the heater was broken (I'm not sure how or how long--it's an acrylic tank and it'd been working fine for months).

The only saving grace in this is that there was nothing in the QT tank! (A situation that I was about to fix) 'course, now I'm looking at the EBO Jager heaters in my display tank and wondering when....

Another vote for the RKII!?

Heaters are one of those things I replace on a regular basis, just in case.

If it ain't broke, it will be eventually.

Wowsers...

Ya, I love the fact that my RKII will atleast help prevent something like this from happening. The exact reason I run 2 heaters in my tank too.

Melissa;98295 wrote: Heaters are one of those things I replace on a regular basis, just in case.

If it ain't broke, it will be eventually.

Agreed...but the heater's only been in use for 3 months...my definition of 'regular' is a bit longer than that!

Geehh;98298 wrote: Agreed...but the heater's only been in use for 3 months...my definition of 'regular' is a bit longer than that!

True - it should have lasted longer than that! I usually replace mine at around one year of use.

Glad you caught this one in time!

I've heard bad things about those heaters, too. I'm glad you didn't lose any livestock!

Since I'm in the market for a new heater...any recommendations?

Thx!

dawgdude;98314 wrote: I am terrified of temp swings. I have 4 thermometers on 90 gal:

One on the RKII which controls 1 of my heaters
Two of the Tom Temp Alert Digital thermometers
One floating thermometer to check against my digital ones.

I also have one heater that is running off its own thermo just incase the RKII goes crazy and thinks the temp is really high (which it has done before) and that thermo will hopefully off set the chiller going nuts. But I am extremely paranoid.

Feel your pain. I have 2 heaters, one controlled by my chiller. The other is not set lower in case that one fails. I have 4 temp sensors; one on the chiller, one digital thermometer, Octopus Temp probe and a glass salinity/temp thermometer. Nothing worse than putting your hand in your tank and it feel slike icewater, well other than putting your hand it the water and it feels like hot cocoa!

Back