Which leak detector do you use with an Apex Break Out Box

spiderman097

Supporting
Reaction score
Hey,

Was wondering if anyone had any insight on which leak detector to use. Would you just buy the apex one? Would you buy another brand, and split the wires to wire into your breakout? Is there a leak detector that's the norm?

Don't know any of this :(

Thank you

Since there's only one serial connection on the apex unit, I preferred to keep the limited breakout slots for float switches and use the apex leak detection module for that separate purpose.

If you intend to use the breakout box, skip the brands, DIY all the way.
Very simple and easy to construct and if u need help with that, pm me.

Apex ldm. They're fairly cheap and work and very easy to install.

Myreefclub, do you mind sharing how to make a simple leak detection with just the break out box

mattgee87;1034252 wrote: Myreefclub, do you mind sharing how to make a simple leak detection with just the break out box

There is several ways to do it , all you need is something that will close the circuit when the water hits it.
An old smoke detector, a circuit board or an old air conditioner drip pan water detector.
I like the circuitboard better because it sits flat, all you have to do is soilder the two wires from the breakout box onto the circuit board and screw the circuit board on the floor of the stand.
I'll put together an example and post it tomorrow.

MYREEFCLUB0070;1034268 wrote: There is several ways to do it , all you need is something that will close the circuit when the water hits it.
An old smoke detector, a circuit board or an old air conditioner drip pan water detector.
I like the circuitboard better because it sits flat, all you have to do is soilder the two wires from the breakout box onto the circuit board and screw the circuit board on the floor of the stand.

Thank you

MYREEFCLUB0070;1034268 wrote: There is several ways to do it , all you need is something that will close the circuit when the water hits it.

saltwater itself will close the circuit. wouldn't it make a lot more sense to just securely attach the exposed ends of the wires about a millimeter apart on a flat, non-conductive surface?

Back