Which Nano?

jgoal55

Market
Reaction score
My sister is wanting to get a small aquarium. Something very simple and as we all would like, as maintenance free as possible. Im not sure about the coral selection yet but putting aside light selection which nano (as far as the body and contents and features go) do you guys prefer.

She wants to stay in a reasonable price range so I was looking at the Nano cubes and Aquapods but not sure if there are others out there. Also, Id like to consider all the additional things shed need to buy into the price. So for example, would i need to buy a heater, powerheads, ATO, skimmer, etc?

At this point is better to find a used Solana?

I guess the best next question would be what is the true cost of buying a nano?

Cadlights.com... Here is a link for the 12gal and 22gal

12gal http://www.cadlights.com/product_info.php?products_id=117">http://www.cadlights.com/product_info.php?products_id=117</a>

22gal [IMG]http://www.cadlights.com/product_info.php?products_id=39">http://www.cadlights.com/product_info.php?products_id=39</a>

wow...those cadlights are awesome and what a nice price point.

Only things I noticed is that they dont have fans cooling the lights, they dont have an ATO built in, and they have no built in skimmer.

Are any of these things a necessary addition? Im thinking if the filtartion is enough and you dont overload the tank, you probably dont need</em> the skimmer????

Jgoal55;331576 wrote: wow...those cadlights are awesome and what a nice price point.

Only things I noticed is that they dont have fans cooling the lights, they dont have an ATO built in, and they have no built in skimmer.

Are any of these things a necessary addition? Im thinking if the filtartion is enough and you dont overload the tank, you probably dont need</em> the skimmer????

Hi, I have a Aquapod 12 and am very happy with it. I have the open top with the Metal Halide lighting and the temp stays at a acceptable level. The Nanos with the lids usually have sufficient cooling fans built in and the lights are powerful enough for most corals. You can get a nano skimmer, although the nano skimmers are not the best they do help and pull out some nasty stuff. No Nanos that I know of have a ATO system. I have the poor mans ATO which is a 1 gallon water jug that I do manual top offs with. Each time I do a TO I will add some buffer to help stabilize the PH due to the small water volume. I would imagine that you could get everything for your tank for around $200 or $250 depending on how you obtained it. I know someone that is selling a used BioCube 29 with stand for cheap. I will PM you about it.

Adam

The Cardiff has an ATO built in. I believe the Solana does too.

The Current USA Aquapods have been discontinued - there may be still a few around but they are gone from the distributors I use.

Jenn

Thanks Jenn.....

ha I heard through the grapevine you had one for sale.....unfortunately, its a bit long of a drive for me to go pick it up from Miami ;)

Great to know that those two have ATO's built in. I think I am going to go with a Cardiff.

Wow, This Is A Great Thread... I Was Going To Create A Similar One Only The Tank Would Be For Me, A Complete N00B To The SW Game...

schwimmair;331619 wrote: Hi, I have a Aquapod 12 and am very happy with it. I have the open top with the Metal Halide lighting and the temp stays at a acceptable level. The Nanos with the lids usually have sufficient cooling fans built in and the lights are powerful enough for most corals. You can get a nano skimmer, although the nano skimmers are not the best they do help and pull out some nasty stuff. No Nanos that I know of have a ATO system. I have the poor mans ATO which is a 1 gallon water jug that I do manual top offs with. Each time I do a TO I will add some buffer to help stabilize the PH due to the small water volume. I would imagine that you could get everything for your tank for around $200 or $250 depending on how you obtained it. I know someone that is selling a used BioCube 29 with stand for cheap. I will PM you about it.

Adam

Could You Send Me That Info? :D

I had a Solana and the ATO was a joke. Maybe lasted a day until you had to refill the 2 bottles. It was easier to just TO manually. I don't think I know anyone that uses the ATO on this forum, but I could be wrong.

schwimmair;332388 wrote: I had a Solana and the ATO was a joke. Maybe lasted a day until you had to refill the 2 bottles. It was easier to just TO manually. I don't think I know anyone that uses the ATO on this forum, but I could be wrong.

I was thinking that. The ATO seems very small on the Solana. great that its gravity fed though!

Also, I was thinking where you would put your float switch. That would take up a lot of room in a small tank.

schwimmair;332388 wrote: I had a Solana and the ATO was a joke. Maybe lasted a day until you had to refill the 2 bottles. It was easier to just TO manually. I don't think I know anyone that uses the ATO on this forum, but I could be wrong.

Agreed. Maybe overkill, but I replaced it with Tunze. It's a fish only tank in my son's room and he's splits time between me an my ex-wife, so wanted be confident the job would get done.

Jgoal55;332393 wrote: I was thinking that. The ATO seems very small on the Solana. great that its gravity fed though!

Also, I was thinking where you would put your float switch. That would take up a lot of room in a small tank.

The Tunze doesn't take up much room at all in the return pump compartment. I've not quite figured out how to get the water changes done efficiently with the top off. It takes a litte time for the main tank water and the filter section water to re-balance themselves. In the meantime I need to shut off the ATO.

Back