Which Tang for my 125 gallon Reef?

lawsonr81

Reaction score
I've narrowed down the list of tangs I'm considering putting in my 125 gallon reef tank. I currently only have a baby maroon clown fish, a bicolored blenny and a bi-colored dotty back in the tank, so I've got plenty of room for at least one tang. The list is as follows:

Powder Blue Tang
Powder Brown Tang
Blue Hippo Tang
Achilles Tang

So which one would you guys pick if cost were not an issue? I'd like to put two tangs in the tank at the same time, but I'm not sure if 125 gallons could sustain two without aggression issues. Does anyone have good or bad experiences with these fish?

First, second and fourth are said to be difficult. I'd go with the third.

Out of the tangs you chose i'd say the hippo i have one that is very hardy i have had him for 3 or 4 years. The powder blue and brown get ich to easy so i whould'nt try one of them unless you have a good uv light and the Achilles I've never had one but i hear they are hard to get to eat.

How long has the tank been up and running?
I do love my powder blue, but once they get some size and age to them he will be the last tang you add. They are territorial. If you do add 2 tangs get them from two different families that have different body shapes. See if your local lfs will let you prepay and you pop in and out for a week or two to check on it's health and eating habits

I had a Kole Tang that worked well for me. Minor ick issues, but whatever you decide to do, fed garlic.

Smoothie;341195 wrote: How long has the tank been up and running?
I do love my powder blue, but once they get some size and age to them he will be the last tang you add. They are territorial. If you do add 2 tangs get them from two different families that have different body shapes. See if your local lfs will let you prepay and you pop in and out for a week or two to check on it's health and eating habits

The tank has been up and running for years. I'm just taking my time stocking fish in it. I'd really like to get two Tangs, but I feel like I'm just asking for trouble down the road when they get bigger. Even my maroon clown fish isn't really that territorial or mean right now since its a juvenile. I really like the Achilles Tang, but multiple people have told me that they couldn't get theirs to eat anything. The plan is to feed various types of nori to them on clips, but I've never had a Tang, so I'm not sure how they will take to it or if that will work.

An established tank does help alot in keeping these fish.
You will need a good amount of flow for any of those tangs

Back