Which temp is right?!

jman930

Supporting
Reaction score
The chillers thermometer says 78.4
The seneye says it’s 77.4
The apex says it’s 79.2

At this point I know one or all of them needs to be calibrated but not sure which to trust. Guess I can get an old fashioned mercury thermometer and match it up....

Lol it’s that simple eh? Little frustrating but guess this is the sort of thing that over time can stray from being accurate?

I always calibrate with a few of those $2 mercury thermometers. They’re more accurate. I’ll get 4 of them and average their temp to calibrate.

Lol it’s that simple eh? Little frustrating but guess this is the sort of thing that over time can stray from being accurate?
Yes. That simple, because consistency and stability is more important than which one is exactly correct. Chasing #'s is going to get you in trouble in this hobby. All 3 of those temps are okay for a reef tank, so again, pick one and keep it stable for the most part.

Ditto on @civics14 and @hiimsean

pick one and stick with it for now. Accuracy (aka Consistency) is better than precision in this hobby. In choosing one, don’t choose the lowest temp. Doing so may press you to raise the temp sometime, and High tank temps will hurt faster than low tank temps.

get a small glass aquarium thermometer. They’re a buck or so, and much more reliable than digital.

There are hobby grade thermometers and probably have a wide range. Even medical thermometers have a tolerance range of 2+ degrees.

I used to stress about the discrepancies in temps between all my measuring devices but took the above advice and all is well with the temp world here lol

I have a total of 6 cheap/floating thermometers that I use once in a while to calibrate and make sure things are pretty much within range. I use them for various other purposes but twice a year I put them all together and take readings on my various tanks. Like everyone else said, stability is the key and I personally shoot for 76° figuring a degree or two here or there still has me looking pretty good.

Back