which wrasse get along with snails and shrimps?

flashers, fairy, and leopard wrasses typically will do the best with inverts.

definitely not red cigar wrasses... that guy has wrecked my CUC

Oh they all 'get along'... swimmingly. The wrasse eats 'em :)

Smaller fairy wrasses are your best bet, and larger clean-up crew critters. Have the larger shrimp etc. FIRST, before adding the wrasse(s).

Eventually you may lose some inverts to the wrasse - that's just part of the game.

Jenn

thanks everyone. That's just too sad they can't live happily together. I don't want snails to be flipped over and dead so often. Is melanurus snail safe? Do smaller fairy wrasse eat bugs of things like that?

I had a melanarus wrasse in my last set up that feasted on my clean up crew. I would avoid any larger wrasse if you are worried about the inverts becoming a snack.

My malanarus loves CUC... I did have some luck switching to large turbo snails...

My melanarus was great on tests, but tough on the cleanup crew. She definitely caused my hermit crabs to stop being active during the day and if any snail fell off a powerhead landed upside down they would definitely love live more than 24 hours unless I rescued them. six line grasses are cute and have personality but they can get a real temper on other smaller fishes.

yeah that's how I feel too. Too bad we can't have the best of both worlds. So would you guys trade CUC for wrasse?

I would definitely consider it. There's always tangs, gobies/blennies and other algae eaters. My snails typically sit on the glass which has to be cleaned anyways. Be nice to hear from someone who's done it that way.

my goal is to have CUC to clean the rocks by trying to keep the glass very clean so they have to graze on the rocks. This is the problem I have right now with deadspots on the rocks that no tangs can get to

my melanarus wrasse flipped every turbo i put in until i had this awesome idea. 60 astrea snails. sure there was a loss here and there. but my cleanup crew is intact. i still lose one every couple weeks but that goes with the territory.

Russ-IV;1050454 wrote: my melanarus wrasse flipped every turbo i put in until i had this awesome idea. 60 astrea snails. sure there was a loss here and there. but my cleanup crew is intact. i still lose one every couple weeks but that goes with the territory.

how big is your tank? How do you know you lose 1 every couple weeks? I normally don't keep up with the snails but I think I lost on average one per day based on my experience (I have to buy a new batch like once a few months). I think I'll stick to the CUC and find another way to battle other stuffs

Back