White verse blue lights

putemup

Market
Reaction score
I noticed that a lot of sponsers are displaying corals using primiarly their blue lights verses the white lighting. For them it allows most corasl to show their colors better. Is this a suggested technique for long term survivalbility for the home aquarist growing hard corals or should a mixture of both be used?

IMO....it takes more than just blue and white to provide all the colors of the spectrum required for growth. If you aren't able to provide the full spectrum which includes green and red, then the long term viability of your corals will be diminished. That's just my observation and opinion.

reeferman;1055437 wrote: thats not really true.my diy fixtures are only royal blue,warm white and cool white and my acros have been rocking with them for 5 years.

Your fixtures have red and green included in the spectrum of the warm and cool white bulbs.

reeferman;1055437 wrote: thats not really true.my diy fixtures are only royal blue,warm white and cool white and my acros have been rocking with them for 5 years.

The warm whites are providing the red and green parts of the spectrum.

reeferman;1055517 wrote: im well aware of that.thats why i posted that you dont need the separate reds and greens

I was just pointing it out for the people that may not know. Wasn't trying to offend you. Sorry if it came across wrong.

In fact I believe a study was done showing that red leds can be too intense for coral and can cause issues.

Blue light (445/453) causes many florescent pigments in most corals to, um, well floresce. As a couple fellow reefers noted of late, it also make the bubble/hair algae/aptasia harder to see. ;)

A fair number have a ramp between white & blue (ideally wider spectrum than just the two) so as to provide more balanced lighting for ongoing growth and general coral health, but the higher percentages on the actinics are usually timed to happen during the peak of the business day to "best" showcase the coral's awesomeness. Blue on its own isn't going to deliver every wavelength corals need to grow & color up fully but as you observe, make 'em showy.

I generally prefer to see what they'll look like under a more midday-white look (with some blue & "uv" mixed in + warmer whites) as I prefer to run my tank with that mix rather than smurf-toned. If it bothers you (or simply to make a more balanced purchasing decision), bring a low-medium power warm-white LED mini-flashlight (1-3w) with you so that you can provide the missing or just ask... most retailers I've dealt with have been a-OK with temporarily switching the lights into a more white mode on request.

Back