Who calibrates their controller temp probe?

acroholic

Lifetime
Reaction score
I was calibrating my RKE pH controller probe on my calcium reactor, and after I finished, I noticed my controller display was giving me a temperature reading that, while not terribly off, seemed a bit high given the temperature drop we've had lately. I have an infrared temperature gun and a couple regular type suction cup thermometers, and they all were consistent with one another, about 1.5 degrees Fahrenheit cooler than the 80.5 my controller was showing. I had totally forgot there was a calibration mode for the temp probe. Never really occurred to me there could be drift in a controller temperature probe.

So regular checking of the controller temp probe accuracy will be on my list from now on. I had not double checked the controller temp against a regular thermometer or the IR temp gun for at least a year.

I don't know if you can calibrate a Neptune controller temp probe, but you can with the DA RKE or RKL. I used to keep a suction cup type in the 465, but it was always coming loose, so I pulled it out. Maybe a stick on type instead.

Acroholic;988087 wrote: I was calibrating my RKE pH controller probe on my calcium reactor, and after I finished, I noticed my controller display was giving me a temperature reading that, while not terribly off, seemed a bit high given the temperature drop we've had lately. I have an infrared temperature gun and a couple regular type suction cup thermometers, and they all were consistent with one another, about 1.5 degrees Fahrenheit cooler than the 80.5 my controller was showing. I had totally forgot there was a calibration mode for the temp probe. Never really occurred to me there could be drift in a controller temperature probe.

So regular checking of the controller temp probe accuracy will be on my list from now on. I had not double checked the controller temp against a regular thermometer or the IR temp gun for at least a year.

I don't know if you can calibrate a Neptune controller temp probe, but you can with the DA RKE or RKL. I used to keep a suction cup type in the 465, but it was always coming loose, so I pulled it out. Maybe a stick on type instead.

There is a calibration option for the Apex but I've never used it. Guess I'll double check mine too though I only have a single suction cup one. Somewhere lol! Another thing I need to look for.

The drift on mine was not excessive, but who doesn't want an accurate temperature? Better the actual temp is lower than higher, as in my case. Could be an issue if actual was higher than the display, and the tank is on the warm side already.

Acroholic;988094 wrote: The drift on mine was not excessive, but who doesn't want an accurate temperature? Better the actual temp is lower than higher, as in my case. Could be an issue if actual was higher than the display, and the tank is on the warm side already.

Found my old coralife temp gauge. Coralife reads 80 and the apex reads 81. Unfortunately I don't have a third source other than my thermostat. Close enough I guess and like you I'm hopeful that the actual temp is a little lower than displayed temp.

Now why didn't you post this yesterday??? I just place a good size order with BRS and meant to include PH calibration fluid. Hate it when that happens.

rdnelson99;988122 wrote: Now why didn't you post this yesterday??? I just place a good size order with BRS and meant to include PH calibration fluid. Hate it when that happens.

Ugh, that does suck. Although SEA carries them at least.

I bought a lab grade thermo mainly used for brewing. Fine grade scale so that I can test down to 1/10th or 1/5th of a degree? I just measure it every time I do water testing to make sure its still reading the same as my display; usually pretty accurate. I dont think in the year and a half that I have had it and on two separate tanks that I ever had to recalibrate it. Btw approaching the two year mark of having my apex and its on its original ph probe and temp probe; as far as I can tell they are both accurate. (ofc I do recalibrate the pH every few months to be safe)

rdnelson99;988122 wrote: Now why didn't you post this yesterday??? I just place a good size order with BRS and meant to include PH calibration fluid. Hate it when that happens.

Ebay payed 2 bucks for 7 and 10

kilralpine;988190 wrote: I bought a lab grade thermo mainly used for brewing. Fine grade scale so that I can test down to 1/10th or 1/5th of a degree? I just measure it every time I do water testing to make sure its still reading the same as my display; usually pretty accurate. I dont think in the year and a half that I have had it and on two separate tanks that I ever had to recalibrate it. Btw approaching the two year mark of having my apex and its on its original ph probe and temp probe; as far as I can tell they are both accurate. (ofc I do recalibrate the pH every few months to be safe)
2 years is a long time for a pH probe to still work accurately. Good for you. I replace mine at the 12-18 month mark usually. I can usually tell when mine go bad, like I get unusual readings, or it doesn't hold a calibration.

Never had much issue with controller temperature probes other than the slight drift I just corrected. Can you get the type thermometer you mentioned at a brew supply place?

Pure Reef has them in stock also.

Just remember if you are calibrating for a tank pH monitor, use 7 and 10. For a calcium reactor pH probe, use 4 and 7.

Acroholic;988202 wrote: 2 years is a long time for a pH probe to still work accurately. Good for you. I replace mine at the 12-18 month mark usually. I can usually tell when mine go bad, like I get unusual readings, or it doesn't hold a calibration.

Never had much issue with controller temperature probes other than the slight drift I just corrected. Can you get the type thermometer you mentioned at a brew supply place?

Yes I bought mine at at Midwest brew supplies.
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/lab-thermometer.html">http://www.midwestsupplies.com/lab-thermometer.html</a>

Mine came in yellow.

Just noticed the link above appears the same as mine but may have increments that are slightly larger, that is the website I order mine from tho. Even at 1' increments that is pretty much accurate enough to use for checking; brew thermos are highly accurate.

I don't really... As long as chiller display temp and apex display temp are close I don't worry about it. I did do it originally on my DT because those two numbers were originally off but I haven't noticed any drifting since.

Back