Who has installed styro-foam under his/her tank?

dakota9

Market
Reaction score
I'm awaiting my new tank, and checking the manufactorer's site I found that for any warranty to apply, I must install 1/2" foam board under the tank to insure the glass does not crack because of stress.

I'd never even heard of this until recently, and wondered if anyone has actually done this. I researched it on about.com, and it is something that was suggested, but just seems impractical in the long term, as the foam "must cover the entire bottom of the tank in one continous sheet". About.com's diagram shows a layer covering the entire top of the stand. Cut to small, it would actually create more problems than it solves, cut too large, it would look unsightly, visibly sticking out.

Who has/hasn't done this and what do you think about it?

Thanks

IMO, I do not think it is needed at all, I have seen hundreds of tanks do just fine without it in the long run. I know some people do it also to keep in heat or to level the tank out.

in our large frag tanks at petland. we have sheet of foam under the tanks. we got them at home depot.

I have a sheet of the pink foam from Home depot under mine. It's suppose to absorb any imperfections in the stand.

I doubt the need for the foam if the stand is in good condition but to get the warranty, I'll have to install it.

Can the foam be seen when you view the tank? I have not got an edge that would cover the foam on my stand, which is acually a table. I'd hate to put it under there and have to look at it everyday, as It couldn't be moved without breaking the tank down.

I might live without it if I can get the stand level enough

Thanks for your thoughts

If you feel comfortable not using foam then go for it.Yes you can see it under the tank if you dont have trim or anything to cover it up.Easy fix would be use some quarter round trim or something to cover it if you decide to use some.

<span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;">
<span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;">Usually foam is used under acrylic tanks for the added support (I think that's what yours are Josh). </span>
</span>
<span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;"></span>
<span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;"></span>
<span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;">yep. its acrylic. i had to use foam to valid the warranty also.</span>

Dakota..

I have used styrofoam under every tank and sump I have ever had. It makes a different if something is not level. Also it helps in making sure nothing will crack or puncture any arylic or glass from the bottom that you might have missed. Just a suggestion...use it! I have plenty if you need some!

i have a 450 glass and i used blue 1/2 foam it pertecks and in perfections you might have in the stand nail screws or what have you, its cheap insurance.

I use the pink foam from Home Depot. It will not level the tank, however; your stand will need to be level in order for the tank to sit level. Since the weight of the tank will be distributed evenly on the foam, the foam will not even "squish" a tiny bit. The tank will sit on top of the foam!

Yes, it is visible. But you can add some trim around it to cover it. That's what I will be doing as soon as I finish with the stand.

Dakota, How big of a tank are you getting?

The foam will not "level" the tank nor will it make up for an un-level stand. The foam is to protect the tank from an uneven, twisted or warped stand. The stand needs to be perfectly flat. The bigger the tank the more important a perfectly flat and sturdy stand becomes. The foam will crush where there are high spots on the stand which effectivly makes the stand flat. If you have any questions at all that your stand is flat, you should fix your stand. If you cannot verify your stand is perfectly flat, you should place the foam underneath the tank. That being said, foam can only make up for slight imperfections, if the stand is warped too far, the tank will break with or without the foam.

The cost of the tank is peanuts compared to the damage 100s of galons of water can do, not to mention your livestock...

See, my tank that I have is 30 gallons and I'll only be upgrading to a stock 50 gallon tank. I built the stand I'll be using, its now about 15 years old, made entirely of 2"x6" lumber. I'm really doubting the need for foam under it but might do it anyway.

Thanks

more than likely, you will have no need for the foam. BUt, since the cost of the foam is negligible, why not?

Back