Who has the best quarantine? Best captive breed selection?

wannabeeareefkeeper

Market
Reaction score
1.) Which store has the best quarantine setup for salt water fish?

2.) Which store has the best selection of (captive breed)salt water fish?

Wannabee

best quarantine is SEA. You definitely pay for it.
Captive bred also depends on the type of fish, I would say that is a harder one to place.

Mikesmith34;986844 wrote: The fish store has pretty good QT from what they told me.

What's their procedure? Unless they have another room unseen, I doubt it's a true quarantine.

I feel comfortable putting fish from SEA or the Divers Den section of Live Aquaria right in my display. Anyplace else I would QT, including the Fish Store.

MorganAtlanta;986851 wrote: I feel comfortable putting fish from SEA or the Divers Den section of Live Aquaria right in my display. Anyplace else I would QT, including the Fish Store.

Agreed. But should mentioned that absolutely disrespect towards the other stores. Full cycle quarantine with antibiotics is an insanely thorough process for a store in which skyrockets the the price per fish.

Each store has to make its own choice about its own QT process. Personally, I like the store to take care of QT, and I look at the price of a "fish" as the actual fish plus the service of QT. I'd gladly pay 50% more for the average fish for the service of a quality QT process run by someone knowledgeable about the typical ailments common in the various fish species.

I do regularly buy from sources that don't run a full QT process, but then I have to do it myself, which takes a lot of extra time and effort, especially since nothing on my QT system is automated, where as virtually everything on my regular system is.

I agree stores should do some sort of QT,But...no matter how much a store QT's, the stress of our system could still effect the fish or what ever else we add, and should not alter the need to QT before putting it in your sysetm...

DawgFace;986847 wrote: What's their procedure? Unless they have another room unseen, I doubt it's a true quarantine.

Not sure, I'm not from the area so didn't inspect. But they did tell me they had a 4 week QT.:wow2:

Mikesmith34;987250 wrote: Not sure, I'm not from the area so didn't inspect. But they did tell me they had a 4 week QT.:wow2:

Huh, maybe they do... Interesting. I'll have to inquire next time I'm down that way.

How about a Bump? Any more responses would be appreciated on quarantined fish for sale from sponsors or other places? Is the extra cost on the customer worth purchasing a fish going threw so much quarantine? If any sponsors are reading this, please PM me any warranty on marine fish.

I would like to see the pros/cons on long quarantine time with anyone on the business side of reefing. You can PM me if that is a better option for you.

Wannabee

I think that doing it your self is much more cost effective. the likely hood is that you wont have an issue. with a much lower cost. I would hate to pay $110 for a clown that I can get a pair for the same price.

Back