Who has their sump set up in basement?

parmoffitt

Market
Reaction score
I am tired of my 15 gal sump with everything crammed in it. There is no room for anything. I have had it.

I could sure use advice from someone who has done it and what problems if any to watch out for.

I have a 90 gal reef and could either go with a glass aquarium 75 gallon that Marine Fish agreed to drill and turn into a sump for me or go with a acrylic sump 42x18x18 from aqua buys that Sam suggested. Both sumps would be around the same price. One being glass though.

I also need a pressure pump that can push water 25' up to the tank upstairs.

I have my sump in the basement and you could come by to take a look if you would like to.

You'd be surprised at what you can you with a basement sump.

I'm goign to use a mata ray for the return, but you could use a lower wattage pump. The hammerhead will do it just fine and will only use about 350 watts. It's not neccessary that you use an extremely powerful pump to acheive the return.

For my basement setup I have a Sequence 3600 (SW Series). I have plenty of flow and its not to bad on heat.....I bought it used from another basement setup so I knew it work....I have had mine setup for over a year and love it.

Best of Luck to you.

I have what ever Simon gave me and it is wonderful :) love the basement set up right Simon... :)

Sorry guys had to leave today on personal business. So....what I am getting from this is that I can have heating issues with a powerful pump in the sump? Even though the water volumn would be increased? Now I need a chiller?

I was told by the person that will be putting it in that the basement stays cool so I would not need a chiller.

I have two pumps that were recommended to me. The Sequence that was mentioned and the Baracutta. Both pressure pumps being more than enough to push the water upstairs.

The pumbing will be going up one floor but I understand that the floor will have to be drilled to put the l" pipe through. I guess that is what you mean by being tricky?

i agree. those giant rubbermaids are awesome. i didnt go that way but since seeing them i would have. i'd always go with plastic or acrylic as you can drill it easier.

heat from a sequence pump is minimal, you shouldn't have any issues.

also if your basement is cool, that will help overall.

just do it.

todds pump is a little red giant from corallife.

Simon.Kruger;206859 wrote: i agree. those giant rubbermaids are awesome. i didnt go that way but since seeing them i would have. i'd always go with plastic or acrylic as you can drill it easier.

heat from a sequence pump is minimal, you shouldn't have any issues.

also if your basement is cool, that will help overall.

just do it.

todds pump is a little red giant from corallife.

Rubbermaid! That's it, I couldn't remember who made the stupid things.

parmoffitt;206851 wrote: Any thoughts on glass drilled versus acrylic?

I'm assuming this will also contain a refugium? Some say that acrylic baffles should be siliconed to acrylic only and that acrylic baffles with a glass tank is not a good idea and will eventually fail. That being said, I have a glass sump/fuge with acrylic baffles and have had absolutely no problem; however, if I had it to do over again and had a choice of two tanks for the same price, I'd go acrylic/acrylic just to be safe.

I wish I had a basement, because I'd do what you're contemplating doing in a heartbeat. My only option is the garage, which is already way too crowded and far too warm in the summer time and a large closet under the stairs on the main level, which I think would add too much moisture into the house.

I saw an impressive basement set-up on our Tour of Tanks earlier this year. I'll see if I can find the thread. I love the idea of having the ability to add so much support equipment tucked out of sight and just enjoying your display in your main viewing area without all those distractions.

Please keep us posted. There are a lot of basement sumps on these boards and you should get a lot of helpful input.

Linda Lee;206861 wrote: I saw an impressive basement set-up on our Tour of Tanks earlier this year. I'll see if I can find the thread.

Check out ejorg2's set up in http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=12346">this thread</a>.

The pictures don't do it justice. All the support equipment is downstairs and everything runs so smoothly and automatically.

I'd love to have something like this down the road.... someday.

parmoffitt;206849 wrote: Sorry guys had to leave today on personal business. So....what I am getting from this is that I can have heating issues with a powerful pump in the sump? Even though the water volumn would be increased? Now I need a chiller?

I was told by the person that will be putting it in that the basement stays cool so I would not need a chiller.

I have two pumps that were recommended to me. The Sequence that was mentioned and the Baracutta. Both pressure pumps being more than enough to push the water upstairs.

whoever told you about the heat issue is wrong.

Barracuda is a sequence/reeflo pump; excellent line of pumps.

These pumps run COOL and quiet. They are very efficient also.

I will be posting my set up for sale soon, I have a basement set up. Baracuta pump, 80gal acrylic MRC reef sump, 75gal drilled refug. and a lot more. Heat is not an issue.

parmoffitt;206668 wrote: I am tired of my 15 gal sump with everything crammed in it. There is no room for anything. I have had it.

I could sure use advice from someone who has done it and what problems if any to watch out for.

I have a 90 gal reef and could either go with a glass aquarium 75 gallon that Marine Fish agreed to drill and turn into a sump for me or go with a acrylic sump 42x18x18 from aqua buys that Sam suggested. Both sumps would be around the same price. One being glass though.

I also need a pressure pump that can push water 25' up to the tank upstairs.

Man...your in Lawrenceville!
You gotta go see Buds reef!
Awesome!!!

Thanks to everyone. I am sooooooooooo excited about this project! It is good to know that Barracuda pump doesn't heat up the water. As for the chiller, I will just wait and see after everything is operating if the temperature rises. I was told by a professional aquarium maintenance guy that the cool basement will help. We shall see.

Thanks for the link Linda Lee.

I forgot to mention but yes.....this will have a refugium. There is a sump that Sam recommends that is 48x18x18. It is called ADHI Refugium Model 60. It can handle up to 1500gph. Will service up to a 300 gallon tank. This would be good if I want to go larger in the future. It comes with a refugium and light system that has (3) 32W compact flourescents. There are two chambers. Skimmer section is l7.5x12" and the refugium is l7.5x16". It has black slats in the refugium to keep all the light in. Sam at Aqua Buys recommends it. However, I would love being able to get something not so expensive if I can.

I really like this because all you have to do is install it. It has everything else and can be shipped to the house.

I am always looking for a cheaper way to do this. I wish I knew how to build one myself but I would just mess it up.

Go bigger then a 60 gallon sump. If your going to spend the money and effort to do this project. Increase your water volume and stability of the tank at the same time. I would use a 150 rubbermaid gallon sump Then put a 100 gallon refugium on top of that, with the refugium drain gravity feed right into the sump. Your talking about $5-600 to complete the whole project including the rubbermaids,return pump,pvc,bulkheads,etc........

Back