Who Runs Open Tops?

coolsurf

Reaction score
Just wondering who runs an open top tank and how do you handle water loss? I am trying to decide whether to do a custom top for my new project or just leave the top open. Any thoughts, opinions etc would be appreciated. :up:

We have an open top 29 gallon and it's actually a pain to constantly be adding water. An ATO would be nice but we don't have one. So it's twice a day top offs or the pump in the sump will run dry.

I have an open top wall. It's a 125 that is backed up to my garage. All of my tanks are hoked up to a RODI with a Kent float vavle, so the water is added automatically. With the open top, it is easier to keep the aquarium cooler in the summer due to evaporation.

I would think most people run open tops, no? I run my 155g open (except for my eurobracing and my light fixture) I lose 3 gallons a week as of now, but it's been relatively cool.

I run an open top on my 110 in my basement. I made my sump on the larger side to handle the evaporation. Right now the tank evaporates around 7 gallons a week. I just started to run a kalk drip 24/7 so that has helped replace what evaporates and I only top off every few days now

I've run both in the past and definately recommend open top. Yes, evap is higher, but temps don't rise as high and the open top provides for better gas exchange.
Just be sure you make provisions to contain any potential jumpers. Some use eggcrate, some use screen, some build a "fence", but you can find other solutions with a little searching. See what works for you, but i would go open top.

I lose about 1.5 gallons per day with my 75 running open top. I have a small 6 gallon trash can sitting on a table next to the tank with a float valve in the sump. The water level in the sump stays within an inch.

I evap 1-2 gallons per day in my 20. I chose to go open top for the gas exchange reason as well. I figure if the fish is stupid to jump that's his problem.

I run an open top on my 75. I just like the glare it puts on the ceiling. I have had a few carpet surfers but oh well!!:up:

i ran an open top for like a year on my 28 gallon, and i just upgraded to a 65 and i dont plan on keeping a lid on it either... IMO it just looks better without a top.

I run open top on my 210 and 100 gallon. Geat for temp controls. I use a Tunze osmolator for top off. I lose about 3.25 gallons a a day due to evap. between the tanks and the sump. A bit goes into the protein skimmer as well.

I have a 12 with an open top and will purchase a top for it when I can find one. I will never have another open top tank agian.

I run i open, 40br w/20l sump/fuge. about a gallon a day is all i lose, not bad i think.

Kirru;307208 wrote: I run i open, 40br w/20l sump/fuge. about a gallon a day is all i lose, not bad i think.

That's not bad evap loss. I have a lot more surface area than you.
Dave

coolsurf;307068 wrote: Just wondering who runs an open top tank and how do you handle water loss? I am trying to decide whether to do a custom top for my new project or just leave the top open. Any thoughts, opinions etc would be appreciated. :up:

I do open top, but would consider canopy for my next large tank.

I loose about a 1/2 gallon a day in my 55 with just PCs. With an open top you're kinda limited with what lighting you throw in (if your going for looks, you have to get the full pendant or fixture instead of just a retro+reflector).

On the other hand, with MH and closed top, you'll def need a chiller for GA summers.

Just my ramblings of an opinion.

I run an opentop 120 and loose about 2.5 gallons per day due to evap.
No ATO? Silly to lug 5 gallons home every two days but I do it.

I don't get it then. I have a 115g and I evap 3-4 gallons a WEEK! I run a 36x18 sump as well. Tank temp 79.9-81.2.

texhorns98;307394 wrote: I don't get it then. I have a 115g and I evap 3-4 gallons a WEEK! I run a 36x18 sump as well. Tank temp 79.9-81.2.

That seems too low. Have you actually measured or is that an estimate? I marked the water level in my topoff reservoir at a certain time, then measured how much it took to refill to that spot exactly 24 hours later. But hey, if that is true, then you don;t use near the water I have to. Save some $.:)

Back