Who the pro reef photographers out there? Need advice..

Rickdareefa

Supporting
Reaction score
Hey guys i know of quite a few guys on here that always have amazing pics of tanks and frags. I wont name them but they know who they are;) also quite a few of you have some knowledge here. I have absolutely zero knowledge in this field and would like to know a decent camera for a newbie to buy. You could also comment on specific filter or spec you look for in a camera. Please dont include anything with ridiculous price tags i think alot more guys on arc are interested in this but need that gate way price tag. Thx in advance!

I use this filter set (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZJX6JT9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) that I bought off of Amazon and the Aquarium Cam app on my iPhone 11. I don't pretend to be a photographer and it gives me decent pictures, so I am happy.

Sorry as I'm not much help!
Thx! But im trying to get the details on actual cameras. I have the cell phone lense kits but the best pics come from full on cameras on a tri pod. But since i know nothing about cameras im trying to find a decent priced camera that takes great reef photos

If you give me your price range I can do better recommendations.

I enjoy Sony mirrorless cameras myself, and for macro there are actually some fairly affordable lenses made by Laowa. You can take photos without necessarily needing a filter so long as your blues aren't cranked through the roof. Much of that can be adjusted in Light Room or whatever editing software you use.

If you give me your price range I can do better recommendations.

I enjoy Sony mirrorless cameras myself, and for macro there are actually some fairly affordable lenses made by Laowa. You can take photos without necessarily needing a filter so long as your blues aren't cranked through the roof. Much of that can be adjusted in Light Room or whatever editing software you use.
To prove hiw much a newbie i am. Your comment on whatever software i use is none lol. I have a laptop that much i know. Ill say my budget would be 300 bux with filters included at that price. What kind of software do i need? Is it free? Hopefully...

At that price point it'll be tough getting a camera and lens to go with it, but it's possible. Look into a used Nikon D3200 perhaps. Maybe someone else can give recommendations too!

i need to learn how to take better pictures as well im never satisfied with the coral pictures i take

A few things you'll need. A good camera. A macro lens. Yellow and orange filters. A tripod. And no flow. That's how I took the pictures in my build thread. Point, focus, click. It was that easy.

Tidal Gardens did a 2 part video series on reef photography that was pretty informative recently:

Part 1:

Part 2:

I just bought the $25 Orphek set from Amazon including yellow lens, orange lens, macro lens, and polarizing lens to reduce glare from top down. They are stackable to benefit from each lens type. Plan to use on my iPhone 11 Pro Max.

Cameras don't take good pictures, photographers do. Shawn pretty much covered the gear you need, but forgot software for post processing. From there it's practice and patience.

I do the $10 a month Adobe subscription for Lightroom and Photoshop, but you can get by with less if you shoot jpeg. For macro work, you want as much depth of field as you can get, assuming that is what you are going for, so smaller sensors are easier do do that with and should be cheaper as well.

I just bought the $25 Orphek set from Amazon including yellow lens, orange lens, macro lens, and polarizing lens to reduce glare from top down. They are stackable to benefit from each lens type. Plan to use on my iPhone 11 Pro Max.
Exactly what I do with my iPhone too.

It's going to be difficult to be all in for $300. Most of our phones are 2 to 4 times that much. If you up the budget by those factors and scour Craigslist and other forums you might be able to find a deal.

There's also black Friday coming up and there's sure to be some deals out there then.

I think photography is a lot like our hobby. If you go in too cheap to start, once you get your legs under you you're not going to be happy with the equipment you've got and will end up spending more in the long run.

This is an area that I'm going to have to look at soon myself and right now I don't have the funds for it either. It would be great if people that take great pics like @dball711 or anyone else with knowledge could post a good body and lens combo to get the job done without breaking the bank. Something in the $900-1200 range if possible.

Last edited:
I've just started attempting to get semi OK pics (yesterday as a matter of fact) which means I don't have a good batch of info to share other than what I currently have.

My equipment is WELL beyond my capabilities but will also be plenty if I ever get semi decent. I had a pretty good idea of what I was looking for and when a screaming deal came up on teh camera - I bought it. Same with the lens. Reasearch and patience saved me roughly 50% of MSRP.

I currently have a Canon 80d - https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/.../eos-dslr-and-mirrorless-cameras/dslr/eos-80d

and a 100mm Macro lens - https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/.../lenses/ef/macro/ef-100mm-f-2-8l-macro-is-usm

With black friday and other sales coming up - I'd get started on research and decide what equipment you want - even if it's a $300 point and shoot or a cell phone with a better camera - and be ready to jump on a deal when you see it.

Pic below is 100% untouched / unaltered with no filters - camera settings in the second image. Is it pro level? No Way - but it's light years ahead of the junk my phone produces.

unaltered.png

CamSettings.png

Without breaking the bank...

I'd recommend a used Sony A6000, can be found around $300 on Ebay. And a dedicated macro lens like a Tokina 100mm F/2.8 Macro which has a Connon mount so you'll need an adapter to mount it to the A6000 body (adapter can be had for $25). The Tonika can be found used on Ebay or on line camera shops for about $200. This combo will give serious macro shots. Here are a few of mine from this combo.

IMG_2602.jpeg

IMG_2604.jpeg

IMG_2605.jpeg

Iv'e recently upgraded to a Sony A6400 and a Sigma 70mm Art lens, retail $1350. Some examples from th new combo...
DSC06036.jpeg

DSC02622.jpeg

DSC05624.jpeg

Back