Who to trust? API vs. Elos

ripped tide

Market
Reaction score
Today was the first day in a few weeks that I've had me time. No jobs to do, no retail work, no family in town, the dogs are being good... It's a nice day do far.

I decided that this serenity should involve water tests! I recently got a 72" current nova extreme 12x39w t5 fixture for my 210, and naturally want to add coral. It's been a fowlr for a while, so assumed it would take a few water changes to get it prepared for softies. I have been using the waste waster from my 93 as the new water to my 210, trying to slowly bring levels to where they need to be.

So here is my issue. I double tested both tanks with a combination of Elos, API, and seachem test kits. I'm pretty sure seachem is right on the money with their kits, but only have the magnesium/alk kit from them.

These are the only contraversial Results:

210:
NO3: (API ~20ppm) (Elos ~2.5-5ppm)

93: (API between ~5ppm) (Elos ~0ppm)

Fwiw the remaining results of the 210 were:

Alk: 4.0mg/l
Ca: ~350 Elos
PO4: ~2ppm both Elos and API(yeah yeah yeah, that's why I'm doing softies. I gave my wife a liscense to feed. I'm sure some one will still lecture me)
Mg: ~1300

Edit: To reduce user error assumptions: I am a man, however, I still follow the directions of the test kit to a T!!!! I shake the solution for the exact time recommended by the manual and I allow the exact time for the solution to sit and color up.

FWIW.....

I was very concerned when my API test came back with 80ppm on my nitrate test....

Jenn tested it at <5ppm

I'd definately go with the Elos

This was just yesterday in fact

Thanks Dakota, that's helpful input. I "wanted" to trust Elos more, but it's hard when there are conflicting results.

I still trust the API tests, well....... all but the NO3, that seems to be API's Weakest Link</em>.

As far as Elos I only have used the Mag. test (which I like). I use API on all others but once they are used up I am changing. On the Nitrate, if at any time you used bottle two without shaking it, it is now worthless. The ingrediants seperate and if you used it without shaking they are no longer in the right qty to get an accurate test.

My API seem to be pretty close to what LFS get when I have them test. Not dead on but close enough for me to see if I have a problem. At least I think so. LOL

I've always have pretty average results using API. The calcium test was about 30ppm higher than Elos. I used a referance sample from a seachem kit to compare the two tests. The Elos tested 370, the sample was 375, API said 400-420

Elos for me bud, never really trusted the API. I've always had constant reliable results from them.

Alright, I am going I assume Elos is in the right. I'm starting to wonder if I did what rich said and used reagent 2 with out shaking once or twice. I am generally really anal about doing the test just like the directions say, but if I recal properly, I've done "late night" testing before.... There's been a few do-overs during the wee hours of the morning.

I trust Elos but does anyone have any experience with Red Sea or Sera test kits?

Back