Who uses seachem matrix in there sump?

york1

Supporting
Reaction score
Do you just throw it in loose or do you use a bag? Im looking for a high flow bag to use with matrix that won't clog to quickly

I have seen people use a plastic tray to hold it in the sump, or you can use egg crate zip tied together to hold it, or you can just put it on the floor of a chamber in the sump as long as you make sure none of it is floating. I prewash it and soak in salt water before using.

I use it in all three of my tanks (2 reef, 1 one planted). I have it in black mesh bags for easy cleaning during water changes. I think I bought the bags from Petco.

I use it in all three of my tanks (2 reef, 1 one planted). I have it in black mesh bags for easy cleaning during water changes. I think I bought the bags from Petco.
Thats kinda what i was thinking of doing. Im about setup a new tank and have a bunch of matrix just sitting around. I think having it in a mesh bag would make cleaning a little easier

I use it in my tanks, about 6 zippered bags in each 80g & 60g. Once every 2 monty I remove and rinse then and do a water change through the sump sucking out all the detritus, keeping it n bags makes this really a simple process.

I have a milk crate full of it as my skimmer stand. I ziptied some mesh into sides and bottom then filled it. I then cut the bottom section from a second milk crate as the top. The skimmer height is perfect, but I could have cut the bottom crate shorter if needed.

Back