Who wants to go first?

wildernets

Market
Reaction score
This looks really cool. Price of entry is pretty steep but at today's tank costs it is really not that far off.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/859739753/mindstream-aquarium-monitor">https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/859739753/mindstream-aquarium-monitor</a>

Thoughts?

This product has been getting kicked around for a while. I'm ranking it around the same as the thrive water lab.....i.e. we're never going to see it.

wildernet;1044709 wrote: They do have a kickstarter and a ship date. That is new at least.

They've got another month to raise a quarter of a million dollars. I wouldn't hold my breath.

"80 backers
$45,567 pledged of $300,000 goal
40 days to go
This project will only be funded if at least $300,000 is pledged by Sun, Sep 6 2015 10:00 PM EDT."

Even at $495 - steep. I get their comparison points (but they're not taking into consideration that many people are using $40 test kits).

I think it's pretty sweet but price in comparison to other test kits will play a major factor

This is the 3rd company to try and do literally the same exact thing. Probably will fail unfortunately.

If you Back them and it fails is the money gone? Never seen this tactic before

PFCDeitz;1044737 wrote: If you Back them and it fails is the money gone? Never seen this tactic before

Can Kickstarter refund the money if a project is unable to fulfill?

No, Kickstarter doesn't issue refunds. Transactions are between backers and creators directly. Creators receive all funds (less fees) soon after their campaign ends.

Basically cross your fingers and hope for the best. I personally hate kickstarter and gofundme.

Ringo®;1044711 wrote: They've got another month to raise a quarter of a million dollars. I wouldn't hold my breath.

"80 backers
$45,567 pledged of $300,000 goal
40 days to go
This project will only be funded if at least $300,000 is pledged by Sun, Sep 6 2015 10:00 PM EDT."
According to reefbuilders, the parent company step ahead innovations has already been fundraising and this kickstarter is to gauge consumer demand. So I'm not sure how dependent the 300k is to this moving forward... very interesting.

a>

They never even charge your card. It only charges you if it funds. I've backed several successful campaigns and a few that failed.

I couldn't pay 700+ for the unit and 50 a month for the testing discs. I wonder how many would actually buy it if it was successful

I've been eyeballing this for quite awhile... for nano keepers it might be a bit to pricey even at the kickstarter deal level. I suppose it depends how often you normally run a full battery of tests... at $30 its iffy for my current monthly testing needs & way off at $50 per disc.

But if I were running a bigger system and/or had a decent-to-large collection of collector-grade stony corals/LPS? Oh hell yes. If there's a subjective calibration step or manual compare-the-colors interpretation stage to determine dosing requirements I WILL screw it up the first few times. And hate doing it on subsequent ones. ;)

You're not the only one, Elithelion. Testing the water is a big draw for me personally. Makes me feel like a chemist.

Back