Whoops

bluesy1213

Market
Reaction score
I somehow forgot to turn my AIO 30 gallon tank back on yesterday evening after feeding. I woke up this morning and things seem pretty much ok. I did have an MP 10 going but no heater or anything else. Just sharing my dumbass experience. Don’t be me !

I turned off the flow to my frag tank once and discovered it the next day. Only 1 acro tip stuck out of the water and got burnt up, luckily all is ok.

Been there, done that. I'm sure things will be fine. There was a time whenever I turned anything off, I set a timer on my phone for 20 minutes. I only turned the timer off once I made sure everything was back on. More than once the timer went off and I realized I hadn't turned things back on.

I opted for Dave's approach. Not sure how good that is on a new system but with a mature one that has cuc in the sump, any bits of food that happen to make it down there get eaten pretty quick. (I don't run socks or mechanical filtration.)

Been there, done that. I'm sure things will be fine. There was a time whenever I turned anything off, I set a timer on my phone for 20 minutes. I only turned the timer off once I made sure everything was back on. More than once the timer went off and I realized I hadn't turned things back on.
This may become a regular practice- I already do it for making RODI water.

I opted for Dave's approach. Not sure how good that is on a new system but with a mature one that has cuc in the sump, any bits of food that happen to make it down there get eaten pretty quick. (I don't run socks or mechanical filtration.)
Hmmm....may wanna try this. Just not sure if CUC can survive in my tiny “sump” area. My concern is that I have two return pumps taking up a lot of my real estate. I would be worried about things getting stuck to the intakes.

My theory is nothing slows the current in nature. Therefore, I don't ever turn pumps off except for maintenance. Even then, when one comes out for cleaning it's replaced by a spare.

That reminds me, I should probably start feeding my corals again. I stopped feeding my corals nearly a year ago when my phos was getting too high. I dose amino and vitamin supplements, but otherwise no coral food. Does everyone feed their corals?

What lives in your sump? I've been thinking about doing this (removing mechanical filtration and putting stuff down there). Do you run miracle mud?

What lives in your sump? I've been thinking about doing this (removing mechanical filtration and putting stuff down there). Do you run miracle mud?
In my last system I had rock and rubble in the center chamber. Hermits, snails, bristle worms, shrimp, pods, tons and tons of pods. Many things will find there way down there on their own with no socks.

Setting up my new system I'm planning on putting some mud in there.

It takes time. Just like the display takes time to mature so does the sump.

Once your tank and its inhabitants are settled and healthy, I find that several hours or even half a day of no electricity is fine and handled with no problem.

In my last system I had rock and rubble in the center chamber. Hermits, snails, bristle worms, shrimp, pods, tons and tons of pods. Many things will find there way down there on their own with no socks.

Setting up my new system I'm planning on putting some mud in there.

It takes time. Just like the display takes time to mature so does the sump.
What is this mud you speak of?

I assume he's talking about reef mud. It's an old school way of nutrient control that has been coming back it seems. I've been thinking about doing it in mine after I get moved and the sump set back up

I switched both of my fuges to walt's figi mud about a month ago. So far so good, macros are growing well

I switched both of my fuges to walt's figi mud about a month ago. So far so good, macros are growing well
I'll prolly necrobump this thread in a couple months to see how it's doing. I just don't wanna disrupt the tank twice to add that into the fuge and change my tanks sandbed so ima wait till I move to make things easier on the system. Not looking forward to moving a 120 display lol

What is this mud you speak of?
There's the Walt Smith stuff.

And Miracle mud from EcoSystem Aquarium.

Back