Who's made their own screen covers?

gajeep94yj

Market
Reaction score
I've seen some kits online that I could order and make. They look pretty simple to do.

But has anyone made a screen with home depot parts? Obviously the metal screens wouldn't work, but do they have other material that would work?

Plastic netting and the standard screen frame? If not what did you use for the frame?

I made my screens, went with framing from HD and black bird netting, sprayed the frames black and viola it matched. I have a build thread with a picture of them. Roughly 20$ total

showthread.php

MorganAtlanta;1033199 wrote: Used the clear 1/4" mesh from BRS and HD/Lowes frames. On one set I painted the frames black so that they match the rim.

+1 but i didn't paint my frames

At home depot, gotta buy 196 square foot is the min!

I should plant some berry bushes just so i can use the rest of this...

Yup that's the only problem, the excess but I look at it like this, I can use it on my next large tank :)

The bird net was large holes. I also found a fiberglass screen when I picked up the frame.

Has anyone used that? I'm thinking this would be better since the fire fish (the one always making a break for it) is very tiny

Metal frames work fine for me. Just make sure to get the painted ones.

Ive been using the 1/4" plastic netting from BSR, but it needs to be replaced every year when under halides because it gets VERY brittle. So Im looking for a replacement.

Ive also had fish such as a ruby scooter and fire fish that can fit through the 1/4" holes though...so be careful there.

Hopefully once I get my canopy done I can get rid of them though.

Back