Why Does One of My Hermits Live On My Leather?

joeyprice

Reaction score
I have a pretty big Devil's hand leather and I keep finding one of my hermit crabs hanging out in the 'cup'. I move it out, and its right back in there the next time I check. There is plenty of flow to keep it free of detritus and I blow it off bulb feeder pretty often just to be sure. Any idea why this crab won't leave it alone? Its not eating it is it?

Thats his home, his territory. He could be eating it, or not, not enough information is provided.

However, i have moved hermits across my tank many times, and they often go immediately back to where they were before and stay there. And i can confirm each of these Hermits are the same individuals in the same areas over the course of many months. This supports the idea that hermits are not mindless nomads. They have a home rock (or coral, lol), and their personal tendancy or comfort to leave or stay near their home.

I see no problem dropping them in the same spot. They will walk around and find a spot if they want. Just dont be surprised if they are stubborn and wont leave willingly... in the same way that a clown fish may host the corner of the tank.

Interesting…it must have recently moved, as I have never seen it there before. Any time live stock displays new/never seen behavior I get a little nervous.

Here it is. I have moved it 3' across the tank 4 times now. This coral is spoken for!

Attachments

• PXL_20210627_134340770.jpg
    PXL_20210627_134340770.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 14
My starry blenny likes to sit in my fiji leather, and occasionally one of my big shell hermits will take a seat. I think it’s fun!

My starry blenny likes to sit in my fiji leather, and occasionally one of my big shell hermits will take a seat. I think it’s fun!
I don't mind it, it's just that these crabs have been in there for nearly a year and never shown any interest in camping on the coral, and when new or unusual behaviors pop up I get nervous

After reading the title I was looking for a punch line lol. Why did the chicken cross the road?

I hate hermits. They are sump dwellers for me.

Back