why is my water cloudy?

Reefplumber13

Market
Reaction score
ok so my tank has been up for about two weeks and been fine i have had one damsel in there and that was it untill 2 days ago i put 2 hermit crabs and another damsel in and thats it and yesterday my tank became cloudy... some one plz tell me why?

Could be a few reasons... Most likely algae or part of your cycle completing. Have you tested your water perams?

Your tank has been up for two weeks but you already have fish in there? Did you allow the tank to cycle?!?

well it was up a week and i want to saltwater city and they said it would be ok to put the damsels in there to help and they have been fine well one of them one died bc he would not eat so was that wrong thing to do all that is in there is the damsels and two big hermits and i mean BIG like 4"

Well, FYI, the hermits might need to go depending on what type of tank you are trying to run. But sounds like an cycling thing to me... Looks like a 20%-50% water change is in your future.

I won't even touch on the ethical issues that I feel about using a live fish to cycle a tank.

Using fish to cycle a tank is stupid and wrong. How would you like to be used to be used to breath in asbestos so that others can move in later and breath easily? Not totally your fault since you were given bad advice, but you're on the boards so you should've asked here.

Anyhoo, do a water change and take out the livestock. Let the tank cycle, then add

Using fish to cycle a tank is stupid and wrong. How would you like to be used to be used to breath in asbestos so that others can move in later and breath easily? Not totally your fault since you were given bad advice, but you're on the boards so you should've asked here.

Anyhoo, do a water change and take out the livestock. Let the tank cycle, then add

Wow... Kinda harsh, everyone here has gotten bad advice from a LFS when starting out, cycling with fish is rather inhumane , but jeez, cut some slack.

Yes, Yes, damsels are all wrong. You should only cycle tanks with Clarion angels LOL. I agree that you should not cycle with live animals but there are respected hobbiest that still do it to this day

aceheart1976;174846 wrote: jgilley, where did you get the hermits at to be that big? the ocean yourself?
and i agree, do a water change, fairly large one at that, 30-50%. even though i hate damsels anymore, i would not have used them to help cycle the tank. i usually get my tank started then after the ammonia spikes and starts dropping down, start adding cleanup crews then.
skriz, atleast he did say the fish store told him to use the damsels, i agree that they are hardy fish and all. but i still wouldn't advise to use a fish to cycle a tank....unless it was just a small raw piece of fish for the grocery store or something, and that would be to just start the cycle out and then remove it
i got them from a lfs here by my house animart. they are very good people and been around for about 20 or so years

I would suggest pulling the damsel and hermits out and doing a 25%-50% water change like everyone said. Damsels can be very aggressive and could beat up on the other fish you are looking to add down the line. Try to see if you can trade them back to SWC for a few small hermits (scarlet or red legs) and add a few small snails. Astreas, Trochus, and Nassarius snails are good additions. Later on if you want you could add an Emerald Crab and a shrimp to the cleanup crew.

You can go ahead and pull them, would be for the best, the waste they produce is what starts the cycle, since the cycle is in full swing, I would go ahead and take them out. Ammonia is very damaging to fish gills..

ok guys i got the water tested today nitrates nitrites are why it was like that they said one of them was a lil high and i should do a water change<span style="color: #ff0000;"> </span>

yep, let the cycle complete. You should be good to go then.

Back