Why so many polyps ?

mattgee87

Market
Reaction score
I have a piece of spongades Monti that has a lot more polyps then anything I've ever seen online, they were grown under a radion gen1 , could that be why? Here is a horrible picture.

20140324_093506_zps7cad78ef.jpg
alt="" /></a>

its spongades lol. i dont know why they have so many polyps but my friend has some in his biocube with a 1st gen radion and it does the same thing. maybe it is the radion but who knows. maybe once it grows out under the mh itll show a little more flesh.

i have found that on spongodes the more intense the light the less polyp extension you get... i recently saw a jedi mind trick monti under very minimal LED lighting and the polyps looked huge and were extended up further than anything I'd ever seen on a jedi as if reaching for more light...

i had a superman that did the same thing. The polyps covered everything to the point you couldn't see the blue under it. It was in semi low light under halides

its not MORE polyps.. they are just extended. under my old frag tank lights (LEDs) they did the same thing... under my display lights T5.. they are at normal extension. I'd contend that the coral is attempting to capture more food to compensate for lighting (oooooooooooo did he go there?)

I have a lime green spongdode (sp) that when placed at the bottom of my tank had all of brown polyps soo extended you couldn't even see the green. I moved him to the top of the tank and the polyps are extended to more "normal" looking length. Making it much more appealing. I have metal halides plus supplemental actnics. I love it.

Ok correct me if I am wrong but isn't reaching or extending for light a bad thing? I dont know much on SPS though.

Sent from my Z796C using Tapatalk

IN this particular case, think of it as if they're increasing they're surface area in hopes of grabbing more food to offset the lower levels of light they're receiving.

kstyle13;945110 wrote: I have a lime green spongdode (sp) that when placed at the bottom of my tank had all of brown polyps soo extended you couldn't even see the green. I moved him to the top of the tank and the polyps are extended to more "normal" looking length. Making it much more appealing. I have metal halides plus supplemental actnics. I love it.

How long did it take before the polyps looked "normal" ? I have it under a 150 metal halide hung 9" off the water of a rimless biocube 29 gallon. I'm in the process of adding 16 3w LED for supplement lighting. ( you can see the holes and lens already in place. )
20140321_115825_zps0e916896.jpg
alt="" /></a>

Declanisadog;945165 wrote: IN this particular case, think of it as if they're increasing they're surface area in hopes of grabbing more food to offset the lower levels of light they're receiving.

Oh ok. That makes sense. Like I said I know next to nothing about SPS. Thank you.

Sent from my Z796C using Tapatalk

mattgee87;945177 wrote: How long did it take before the polyps looked "normal" ? I have it under a 150 metal halide hung 9" off the water of a rimless biocube 29 gallon. I'm in the process of adding 16 3w LED for supplement lighting. ( you can see the holes and lens already in place. )
20140321_115825_zps0e916896.jpg
alt="" /></a>

looks like you got half those leds mounted do they make a big difference in appearance?

I haven't got them hooked up yet, although I don't think 16 is going to be enough to offset the brightness of the MH light. I will get to emulate sunrise/sunset though.

mattgee87;945207 wrote: I haven't got them hooked up yet, although I don't think 16 is going to be enough to offset the brightness of the MH light. I will get to emulate sunrise/sunset though.

I'd think they will give your corals the pop you're looking for while keeping the crisp metal halide look. I did something similar with mine and love the results. only problem i have now is i just added an additional metal halide, and now i need to double my led efforts to compensate...or switch the Phoenix 14k's im currently using to Radiums

It looked normal after about a day. But I have my metal halides 12" off the tank. And i use 20k. With 24 watt actinics. Plus black lights. I am upgrading to leds though and I'm gonna fade out the actinics and black lights even though the black lights are amazing as nightlights. And doesn't seem to bother the corals they all feed when the black lights come on. And I can see them to target feed them properly

Back