wild fluval nano project

magyarhammer

Reaction score
So for a number of reasons i came into possesion of 3 fluval spec (3 gallons i think) aquariums.

i like the idea of the enclosed little habitat, but especially for saltwater, its very impractical.

So here is my idea. assuming the bases are not tempered, i will drill them and fit them with bulk heads. i would then bend hollow metal pipe to house returns and drains ...

to look something like this:

22818eec0399e5e8_4794-w251-h251-b0-p0--industrial-floor-lamps.jpg
alt="" />

the base would be a concealed 5 gallonish bucket for media, pump and most important, heater... cause there is no good way to temp control those suckers.

thoughts?

Ha! True enough
Main question is what water flow should be. I think that especially if I stock with algae, kinda of making mini refugiums, water flow can be slow. Showcase things like Pom Pom crabs.

Best case scenario it is portable enough to attach to main displays if so desired.

Only concern I have is using metal pipe, why not PVC (it can be painted).

Yeah metal pipe is probably not a good idea.

I think you can pretty much only get away with titanium in reef tanks, someone will correct me if I'm wrong

Agreed, having water pass through would be bad. I'm thinking 1 to. 1.5 in ID metal pipe so I could feed flexible tubing through the middle for returns, and snake the overflow tubing down the outside for quick maintenance. PVC would work too. At a min without rock each tank is 20ish lbs so a strong backbone is key.

If you all keep posting I'm going to have to end up making this!

Turns out type 316 stainless is probably okay too. That's what they use for impeller shafts

Yeah you could always put flex inside but the wrong kind of metal will still rust. Ever seen the hinges on an older stand?

Back