Will a 55W ballast power a 65W bulb?

gordob

Market
Reaction score
Will a power compact ballast that's made for 55 watt bulbs run 65 watt bulbs? I didn't know if maybe the 65 watts would illuminate as 55 watts using the lower powered ballast or not. If not, it's no big deal. I just thought I'd check with those that would know better than I would.

Thanks,
Brad

Ummmm, to my knowledge, no it will not light the bulb... Try it an see.. Just stand back incase you blow it up! ;) J/K

I may have some 65W ballasts if you'd like. In fact, i think i have 2. They arent the prettiest things, one came from a coralife lamp, and the other from an oddysea, but they work.

Thanks guys! I didn't think it would work, but I thought I'd check first. I've got one bulb running on that 55 Watt ballast right now, so if it worked, that would've been great. Oh well.

glxtrix.....how much do you want for the ballasts? I've got my 55 watts retrofitted over my 20 gallon right now, but I'm sure the 65 watters would fit too.

Thanks,
Brad

I had a 2x55 PC light fixture that I used 65 watt bulbs on because I couldn't find 55 watt bulbs. I'm sure I lost par and I don't know how long it would've lasted because I went to MH after about a month. So for a month they worked fine.

10 bux for both, and I'll throw in some actinic bulbs. Unless you have some SPS to trade. I'll be at the meeting and bring them for you if you want.

They would probably work for a limited time. Not sure how it would effect the life of the lamp. Always better to run the appropriate lamp/ballast together. There are few exceptions but for the most part you get reduced lamp life in all the instances Im aware of.

GO DAWGS!!! And to answer your question yes the lamp will light up. I did it in a 24" fixture for a while (I think 4 months) No issues but again im no expert on lighting.

I have PC 55/65 watt set up. The bulbs and ballast ARE interchangeable. You can buy either....They sell the bulbs as either 55 or 65 watt, but they work on either ballast. (or at least mine!)

The 55 PC watt ballasts will drive 65 watt lamps. They will just be under driven and not burn as bright. In general underdriven lamps last a little longer than Normal or overdriven lamps.

Back