Will anyone donate or sell some Live Sand?

darren24

Market
Reaction score
Looking for a few folks (that way noone is impacted greatly) that have some "clean" (no algae) live sand that they can sell or donate to my new set up. My existing tank has a very light diatom or slime issue and I do not want to bring it over if possible. Small amounts are fine. Let me know. Thanks.

Darren...I have a 16 gallon tank that I want to make a qt without sand..your welcome to it (sand) if you like

Darren diatoms and cyano will be in your new tank despite your best efforts. Its like trying to keep common denitrifying bacteria out of your tank, its not possible since these things exist as spores in the air we breath. You can eliminate them though by good husbandry... supposedly. :)

plus its a new tank, you're gonna get them. Just keep up on your water changes....small more frequent ones are best IMO. I'm going thu the diatom phase right now in my 140...its almost over and thankfully wasnt bad.

Thanks guys. Rlmblm21 I have some "dead" aragonite that I am using. Can't figure out why I get this algae in the 1st place. It is very minimal. Tank is established, weekly water changes, all parameters (double checked at LFS) are dead on. The only thing that I can think of is the filter sock. I do wash it in the washing machine (maybe soap residue) and rinse it several times but wonder if I am adding phospates to my system. I guess we will find out as my new set up will not utilize a filter sock.

Yea even though I put a little bleach in the washing machine I put it through 3 additional rinse cycles after washing the sock. When I look inside my W machine there is some soap build up so maybe that is the cause. We will find out since after this weekend I will no longer be needing the sock.

Darren, if you still want sand, I have a 54g corner that is coming down tonight. I've been *storing* this sand and LR in the 54g in anticipation of setting up my 90g, but I think that's a long way down the road. Kind of silly to keep this system running just for rock 'n sand.

Sand is clean, but coarse. Let me know if you want it, free gratis.

Back