Winter Weather

Thanks for the heads up. I need to refill some gas cans for the Generator.

Yep. Time to get gas, test run the generator and start putting together all of the extension cords, power strips and D batteries for bubble stones. I could be nasty this weekend. And make sure you've got the correct oil on hand for the generator so you can do an oil change if recommended.

Started the generator today. Need to grab some ethanol free gas tomorrow. Still debating order a generator specific tent vs. just building something out of wood to protect it from inclement weather. When we need one it will most likely be raining or snowing and while it has to be run outside, it also needs to stay dry.

Anyone here have a cover for their generator? We have a portable model (Honda EU2200i).

Started the generator today. Need to grab some ethanol free gas tomorrow. Still debating order a generator specific tent vs. just building something out of wood to protect it from inclement weather. When we need one it will most likely be raining or snowing and while it has to be run outside, it also needs to stay dry.

Anyone here have a cover for their generator? We have a portable model (Honda EU2200i).
In past ice storms, I just stick my generator under our patio table.

I have the same problem. Mine is a little bigger and can power about half the house.Bbut I don't have a deck, porch or any other structure near by. If needed I may use a tarp and some scrap wood to make a lean to type covering.
Long term I'm planning to pour a small concrete slab with anchor or U bolts in place to lock it down. Then build a dog house for it ;)🤪

Our whole house Generac is designed to sit on our cement deck with no cover a specific code enforced distance from any openings in our home. Code does not allow covers or any other traps that would push harmful gases into the dwelling. Be careful when running a portable generator that fumes and CO etc stay away from yourself and your critters :)

Resized_20220115_122120.jpeg
A buddy of mine just sent me this. He bought two 810W($100) and a 375W($50) from the Costco by the mall of Georgia

The only overhang we have on the balcony is likely insufficient to protect the generator if there's any wind driven rain or snow. It's also right next to a door so we decided to build a generator box at the last minute. Got a couple vents from Home Depot and using a lot of the scrap wood from the garage. I'll add more photos as it progresses. It's now a box at least. Next up is vents and access points. The lid sits snuggly on top. I'm going to use our Thermopen wireless grill probe to keep an eye on the temperature in the box while it's running to make sure it doesn't get too hot. The box will sit up on 4x4s with the bottom open and vents on both sides. The top has an attic vent installed. I have some heavy duty AC server rack fans somewhere. If I can find them and heat proves to be an issue I can add them on. This unit has a CO2 minder so it will be interesting to see if there's enough flow to keep it happy. Generator is a Honda EU2200i.

PXL_20220116_000620470.jpg
PXL_20220115_233948703.jpg
PXL_20220116_014702843.jpg
PXL_20220116_030543393.jpg
PXL_20220116_033138077.jpg
PXL_20220116_034913478.jpg
PXL_20220116_040058184.jpg

Initial test seems successful. Not going to run it much now for the sake of noise. Moving it back inside in case we need it this weekend.

Last edited:
Back