Wiring Workhorse 7 Ballast for 2x110w VHO?

weaglereefer

Market
Reaction score
Thanks to Simon's generosity, I got myself a Workhorse 7 ballast last night, and thanks to Smoothie, I got some bulbs. Someone else gave me some bulb brackets but I forgot who, sorry, but thank you.

Anyways, now that I think I have everything to set up my VHO supplementation, I'm having trouble locating a wiring diagram that specifically states what to do. The ballast has black and white leads at one end, I assume for the power, and the other end has 4 red wires and one yellow wire. What I've found online says to use 3 red wires and put the bulbs in series to fool the ballast into thinking it's one 8ft bulb. Some sites say that using all 4 wires will overdrive the bulbs.

Does anyone know if this statement is true and is it safe to run the setup in either of the above mentioned ways? Also, how would overdriving affect color and bulb life?

Thanks again, guys!

You can find the wiring diagrams for all workhorse ballasts here:

http://www.fulham.com/Find_Process.php">http://www.fulham.com/Find_Process.php</a>

Just use the drop down menus on the side to pick your ballast and how you want to wire it.

Hmm, all the links from other sites to the fulham site were down, just thought the site was down, I'll check it out, thanks!

Alright, looks like series with 3 reds used and one taped off will do what I need. Thanks!

If not talk to Doc. He had to do this over the phone without me and got some good help. Hope the bulbs give you an idea of what you want

I had to call hello lights and ended up having to snap a picture of the endcaps numbers and wires facing up so they could determine the right order...

Got it working, just wired the 2 wires from the endcaps together to make one wire, then wired the bulbs in series end to end and it works great. Have to find some screws to mount the bulb holders in the canopy and it should be rockin.

I couldn't find any listing for 2x48" bulbs, but they have a diagram for 1x96" bulb so when 2x48" are wired in series using 3 red wires, as far as the ballast knows, it's just one 96" bulb.

Thanks!

Back