Wonder why my overflow is draining so slow?

justonemoretank

Market
Reaction score
As you are soon to find out I hate maintenance. Unfortunately it often results in my pumps clogged full of Calcium buildup, skimmer body so full of tunicates and other inverts, and bulbs not changed enough to keep my corals growing.
Anyway ... the last couple of days I have noticed that one drain is carrying the bulk of the load and the other drain (which directly feeds my modded skimmer) is just barely flowing any water. So this is annoying and since now my tank is not being skimmed properly I decided to figure it out tonight.
I took apart the Durso PVC pipe at the top and fished a piece of twine down the drain. I waited until it came out the other end of the pipe at the bottom. I tied a good size piece of sponge to the top of the twine and then pulled it thru. Lots of fun stuff came out but no major blockage. Next I took the PVC out of the All Glass Overflow and found that it was completely encrusted over! All of the slits that I had cut in the PVC to allow water thru and keep snails, fish, and other critters out were completely blocked up with crustaceans and other debris. Lots of feather duster type filter feeders and other stuff. Anyway I did not have time to soak it in vinegar. I just blasted it with the hose and scratched it as good as I could.
It is reinstalled now and WOW what a difference!!! the water is really flowing well now on my Left side overflow. I am sure that my Right side is about as equally blocked up. I wonder when I will get to cleaning that side... LOL
Here are some pictures.

S5030112.jpg
alt="" />

S5030113.jpg
alt="" />

S5030114.jpg
alt="" />

S5030115.jpg
alt="" />

S5030116.jpg
alt="" />

S5030117.jpg
alt="" />

S5030118.jpg
alt="" />

And after a bit of elbow grease and blasting with the hose. Nearly good as new. :yay:

S5030119.jpg
alt="" />

S5030120.jpg
alt="" />

S5030121.jpg
alt="" />

S5030122.jpg
alt="" />

the "before" looked pretty bad. i wonder if another going over with a scrubbing pad would help further.

A scrubbing/cleaning pad would have helped save my hands! Ouch. That was some sharp stuff growing on the PVC getting into the slice holes that I cut. As long as the cleaning pad doesnt contain any odd chemicals or "mold inhibitors" I would guess it would have been safe. Dipping in Vinegar is my favorite technique because it is the easy/lazy to do it. Really softens it up well. However I was in a hurry and I could not find my gal jug of vinegar anywhere. :)

I am sure that I have just as much growing on my other pipe in the Overflow on the Right side of the tank. :roll: I will leave those in there for a while I am sure before I get around to cleaning it. :)
I could just replace the pipe with a new one. Make a new pair since now I know the length that I need (no longer than 19.5 inches) I could make a new set and swap them out pretty fast. Perhaps give it even larger holes/slots. :)

Back