Wondering about lights

william1

Market
Reaction score
I was wondering if these high-bay MH lights would work If I changed the bulbs. I emailed the seller and was looking for 250 watt ones and size. I was thinking of doing 3 or 4 on my 180. Even though I just did an 8 bulb retro with icecap 660's. I think I could mount the whole light inside my canopy with the ballast end outside on the top of my canopy.

a>

If you did T-5's I would either add more of them, or get an electronic ballast for a 'proper' metal halide set-up. Why?
1) the MH ballasts you are found are probably magnetic (low efficiency)
2) their design will not easily accomodate your set-up
3) you can buy IceCap MH ballasts (the best) for a little over $100 each
4) as many others have said before, don't try to go cheap in this hobby and expect good results. Many times you find you spend more in the long run (but, not always). JMHO

rockymoreland;436772 wrote: More than likely most of theses lights are 277 volts and want work in your house

Great point. I forgot that one. 277V is almost universal for commercial/industrial lighting.

rockymoreland;436772 wrote: More than likely most of theses lights are 277 volts and want work in your house
Actually its probably a better chance they are multitap. The Par will still be horrible though

Of course if you are determined, you could go with a
'buck/boost' transformer and convert 120 to 277V. Cost about $500 though, last I checked. Some guys on here can probably do better than that.

I am just looking into a few things. I love the LED light systems and if I had the extra cash I would jump all over it. Maybe even start collecting the pieces over the next few months I could put something together for the 180. Maybe 3 or 4 platforms with 20 leds each.

Back