Workshops anyone?

dakota9

Market
Reaction score
Hello All!

Do you have a cool way of doing something reef related that you'd like to share with others?

Is there something you're learning to DIY in the hobby and want to see if others are interested in learning as well?

Want community and camaraderie with fellow reefers?

Do any of you have any interest in getting together for hobby related DIY workshops?

This is something we used to do from time to time. It helps to build our reefing community and helps to take our involvment from the individual experirnce online to a group setting. A wonderful benefit to this is bringing ideas together and building on knowledge of others in the hobby.

Can any of you share your thoughts about well planned and thought out workshops for small groups of hobbyist?

We just had an incredible guest give a photography class for our members yesterday. I know we have another one coming up in March as well. Details to follow. :)

Bcavalli;1073318 wrote: We just had an incredible guest give a photography class for our members yesterday. I know we have another one coming up in March as well. Details to follow. :)

Hey Brett,
Was you there yesterday.If so i don't think I got to meet you. Dakota 9 was there.

Fishlips;1073319 wrote: Hey Brett,
Was you there yesterday.If so i don't think I got to meet you. Dakota 9 was there.

I was able to be there for a few minutes before the presentation. I wished I could have stayed. :(. I would have loved to meet you and the others I haven't met in person!

Dakota9;1073306 wrote: Hello All!

Do you have a cool way of doing something reef related that you'd like to share with others?

Is there something you're learning to DIY in the hobby and want to see if others are interested in learning as well?

Want community and camaraderie with fellow reefers?

Do any of you have any interest in getting together for hobby related DIY workshops?

This is something we used to do from time to time. It helps to build our reefing community and helps to take our involvment from the individual experirnce online to a group setting. A wonderful benefit to this is bringing ideas together and building on knowledge of others in the hobby.

Can any of you share your thoughts about well planned and thought out workshops for small groups of hobbyist?

we have done several workshops in the near past but it is one of the more desirable meetings we have had, folks seems to like hands on a bit more and as a big DIY person myself I would defiantly do more in the future.
i'll make a note of this for future plans.

i would love to come and do more diy things may we can have a fragging presentation for proper processor of doing it and such... just one idea that i would like to get better with

rexx1029;1073399 wrote: i would love to come and do more diy things may we can have a fragging presentation for proper processor of doing it and such... just one idea that i would like to get better with

I know the BOD is working on a lot of really great DYI classes this year.

Bcavalli;1073335 wrote: I was able to be there for a few minutes before the presentation. I wished I could have stayed. :(. I would have loved to meet you and the others I haven't met in person!

Will see you at the next one

its probably overdone, but aquascaping.. I think would be good, as I STILL SEE PILES OF ROCKS haha.

For some reason folks seem afraid to take power tools to their rocks and make what they want.
I think this is especially important for an sps tank because over the years the CORALS become the aquascape. The rule of a # of rock in a gallon of tank is dated I think.

IMO using tools... sculpting your rock.. then using rods and epoxy to cement them together into an interesting structure yields a much better result long term as things grow in.

B

what about a workshop...
There is a main speaker.. then breakout sessions in various rooms where folks choose what they want to attend..
aquascaping
reef chemistry
DIY reactors
... 7-8 topics to attend
Each class repeats a few times.. to allow folks to attend.. and that the day :)

we've all been to this kind of thing probably for work

I have a 5000sq foot manufacturing facility in Flowery Branch, fully equipped wood/acrylic shop, multiple CNC machines, the whole magilla, that I would like to offer up as a great location. Some release forms to cover liability would probably be necessary, but I think it could be a blast.

doctorgonzo788;1073507 wrote: I have a 5000sq foot manufacturing facility in Flowery Branch, fully equipped wood/acrylic shop, multiple CNC machines, the whole magilla, that I would like to offer up as a great location. Some release forms to cover liability would probably be necessary, but I think it could be a blast.

ok, you got my attention!:shades:
your my new best friend, i'll get the plans together.:up:

doctorgonzo788;1073507 said:
I have a 5000sq foot manufacturing facility in Flowery Branch, fully equipped wood/acrylic shop, multiple CNC machines, the whole magilla, that I would like to offer up as a great location. Some release forms to cover liability would probably be necessary, but I think it could be a blast

That would be amazing!

Ok what do we need to do next? I will run it by my biz partner, but I see no issue with a Saturday or Sunday meeting at the shop.

I probably need to procure some acrylic stock and new blades.

doctorgonzo788;1073537 wrote: Ok what do we need to do next? I will run it by my biz partner, but I see no issue with a Saturday or Sunday meeting at the shop.

I probably need to procure some acrylic stock and new blades.

i'll send you a pm and we will chat.

I think this is a great idea. I am a see it do it person so this is right up my alley. You can count me in.

Back