Worried about my clowns

skymastre

Market
Reaction score
I posted this on the nano forum as well, but was hoping someone here could help out

Tank param
24 g. aquapod

ammonia 0 - seachem (0-.25 red sea max, total)
nitrite 0
nitrate 10
ph 8.2

1korelia nano 425g, 1 maxijet 900 (flow directed to surface)
temp 78-79
lights 9hrs PC, 10 actinics
Waterchanges 2g. / week, 4 g 1/month

CUC consisting of snails, john maloney's recommended CUC for 20 g

Just a pair of young clowns in the tank, one slightly larger than the other. Acclimated slow drop 3 hours a week and 1/2 ago

Did a 4 gallon water change two days ago. Since then my smaller clown has been acting odd. The larger clown is eating normally (feed x1/d); if anything the larger clown seems hyperexcitable and darts about like a madman.

The smaller clown either lays on the bottom on his side, or drifts listlessly to the top. When on the bottom of the tank, the larger clown will come over and swim right on top of the smaller one. It really looks like they are lovers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZMW3k44KJI">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZMW3k44KJI</a>

I had to use the camera in my netbook so not the greatest of videos

that location in the tank is where the clown has been all day. Has been there since the water change I did sunday night.

This next video is more of what I mean with the female clown swimming on the male

[IMG]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4eVStp2xpA">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4eVStp2xpA</a>

Is this normal? the smaller one looks pretty stressed but it doesn't look like they are fighting. When I first got them the larger one definitely forced the other into submission, the small clown would do his little dance and all that. Should I quarantine the smaller clown?

sorry about the poor photography

I can't see anything obviously wrong with your fish. That tank is a fine QT, so I'd just keep an eye on them and make sure everything is stable. Could be just working out the pre-nupt.

jamescook;574450 wrote: I can't see anything obviously wrong with your fish. That tank is a fine QT, so I'd just keep an eye on them and make sure everything is stable. Could be just working out the pre-nupt.

Ok, thanks.

Ive kept freshwater fish before-just never seen fish lay on top of one another and never seen a fish rest on the bottom for so long

Thanks again

normal to me too...almost looks to me like they are "hosting" something in that particular area of the tank, maybe a coral or rock or something.

The larger one is the female, putting the male in his place. My female is the aggressor in the relationship as well.:yes:

I see nothing to worry about but would get a 3rd opinion on the ammonia reading you got (Im not familiar with red sea test kits).

How long has this tank been set up?

I would have to agree that it doesn't look like anything is wrong just from your videos. As long as it's eating then things should be okay.

The tank has been up for a month and a half. I got the live rock and saltwater from an ARC member's tank and let it sit for a month, then added the clowns.

I'm actually a bit worried now that the clowns have itch. I hadn't noticed it before, since it is subtle (and I've got exams this week so I've been rushed), but there are white dots on the fish. Very small

I can't seem to get a picture of it

sorry to be a pain, but I tried to get a better shot of the little guy-i think you can notice there are small white spots

I'm pretty convinced this isn't normal.

A while ago I saw a post on here about curing ich and it was to make up a hyposaline solution, throw in a powerhead and heater, and put the two fish in for four weeks. Is that about accurate?

If I wanted to be safe, is this what I should do?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAM5zc7NoTw">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAM5zc7NoTw</a>

again, I know this is pretty poor quality video but you can sorta see some of the spots on the back of the tail

white spots are not normal. you may want to start raising the temp and lowering the salinity when you do partial wc. fresh water dips are good for loosening some of the parasites if it is ich. I've had fish in QT for 7 weeks and done daily FW dips. I hope you don't need too. Feed and keep them stable is still the best advice.

jamescook;574467 wrote: white spots are not normal. you may want to start raising the temp and lowering the salinity when you do partial wc. fresh water dips are good for loosening some of the parasites if it is ich. I've had fish in QT for 7 weeks and done daily FW dips. I hope you don't need too. Feed and keep them stable is still the best advice.

Over the summer when I was reading (I read a lot before I got into this) I remember seeing that the parasite falls from the fish and lives in the substrate. It was implied that the only way to get rid of Itch was to take the fish and put them in a different tank-and leave them in it for 4 weeks. That way the parasite died off from the fish and the cyst form died in the display tank.

I've got a 10 gallon aquarium I could set up with an extra maxi for water circulation and heater.

Honestly I'm not fish doctor, but I am a med student and the fish look sick to me. The little one doesn't look like its going to make it

yeah, that ain't good. I don't see any coral that could be causing the skin irritation. any other fish?
He doesn't look good in that last video, but I still wouldn't do a QT and meds if you've got an empty tank there.

jamescook;574472 wrote: yeah, that ain't good. I don't see any coral that could be causing the skin irritation. any other fish?
He doesn't look good in that last video, but I still wouldn't do a QT and meds if you've got an empty tank there.

Nope, no other fish and no corals. These were the first additions.

I was pretty sure that the spots were on the bigger fish the day after I brought them home. Shoulda put them in a tank before the display.

So you think I should up the temp and just leave them in the main tank? Not transfer them to a smaller tank and leave the display fallow?

Thanks for your help, appreciated

you are right, if it is ich. you'll want to leave the tank fallow for a month regardless. If it's "clown-fish disease" Brooklynella, the fish will die in a few days and nothing short of Neptune's kiss will save it. There's really no way anybody can tell right now.
good food and and a stable enviro are the best thing to do.
If it were me I would gradually raise the temp to 85 and lower the salinity to 1.015 over a few days and if the clown does have an ich i'd do a 10 min fw dip daily. but any treatment can stress a fish, so you really just have to feel it out.

Test the tank for stray voltage. Bad heater, bad pump - anything electrical can cast voltage in the tank, which can lead to either an outbreak of whatever is dwelling in the shadows, or cause direct stress.

Jenn

JennM;574529 wrote: Test the tank for stray voltage. Bad heater, bad pump - anything electrical can cast voltage in the tank, which can lead to either an outbreak of whatever is dwelling in the shadows, or cause direct stress.

Jenn
Hi Jenn,

Wouldn't my GFCI have tripped if there was stray voltage?

Does one test simply by plugging in and unplugging items?

The little clown didn't make it. Am now worried about the larger one, as he really isn't eating

skymastre;574533 wrote: Hi Jenn,

Wouldn't my GFCI have tripped if there was stray voltage?

Does one test simply by plugging in and unplugging items?

The little clown didn't make it. Am now worried about the larger one.

Your GFCI would only trip if the voltage had a path to ground (such as a ground probe). A multimeter set to VAC, one probe in water, one in ground pin hole of outlet, then (if you read more than a tiny amount of voltage) unplug one item at a time until you find the culprit.

No worries - I missed it too. You answered the question, that's all that matters! :)

Back