Worth it to upgrade skimmer?

jetlink82

Market
Reaction score
About a year ago I bought a new Reef Octopus NWB 150 skimmer for my 90 gallon tank. At the time, the tank was a FOWLR tank and this skimmer was in my budget. Now I am adding coral to the tank at a good rate, planning on having a mixed reef, and will be adding a bunch of SPS.

I have been looking at possibly upgrading my skimmer but not sure if it is worth it. I was looking to possibly upgrade the stock pump with a bubble blaster 2000, which I am told would turn the skimmer into an SRO 2000 skimmer and would be a great improvement. Any opinions on this or should I just stick with the stock 150? The pump is $220 so it's not cheap (to me anyways).

You can get a used sro2000 for about $275, I actually paid $265 shipped for mine.

If you plan on adding a bunch of SPS I would suggest an upgrade for sure. Unless you plan on having little to no fish in the tank.

FWIW - Since I moved in October I haven't run my skimmer at all (I was running an Octopus Extreme 200). My nitrates are at 0 and I've been using Phosguard to keep phosphates down to 0 as well. Everything looks great and my water is clear.

At this point I'm honestly debating about removing it altogether. I've read both sides of the argument and honestly the only reason I haven't been running it is because of the noise, which still isn't all that bad.

IMHO, keep what you've got if you want to run a skimmer.

Back