Worth repairing or not? That's the question..

reefknight

Market
Reaction score
So after last weeks storms that swept through middle Georgia (and most of the state), its left me with damaged equipment.

I came home Thursday night to find my ACIII is having issues. Temp, pH and ORP were all reading incorrect. So I reset it and it fixes the temp issue but not the others. The pH reading is stuck at 1.40 and the ORP reads 000. So I email Neptune hoping that maybe its just an issue with the programing/ calibration of the unit. After several emails to Curt, we have determined that there is some sort of damage. Of course it is, it's my luck! So I'm advised to ship the unit to them for inspection and repair, ball park repair $50 - $150. Really?!?

I would love to upgrade to the Apex, but I don't have an extra $500 lying around currently. So what would y'all do at this point? Unit's probably 3 1/2 -4yrs old, and would appear new if not for this problem.

To top it off I'm running skimmerless right now as well. The power outage killed my Aquabee pump on my KZ skimmer. It will not restart for anything right now. Funny thing is, I'm resolving an issue with UPS for breaking an ATB 840 skimmer that I ordered like a month ago. I planned on replacing the KZ due to the crappy pump that it uses. I hope to have another skimmer but its going to be at least next Wednesday before it can get here and be installed.

In addition to the above equipment, I lost my microwave and am having issues with my garage door. You hate to ask the impending question; but what else?

:shout:

Well... $50 to $150 is still cheaper than buying a new one, and in addition, for that price you'll get it back checked out by the manufacturer (a big plus in my opinion). Definitely better than saying eff it and going with a cheap reefkeeper or something similar.

As for the skimmer, you'll be fine for a week or so. Maybe up your next waterchange and go easy on feedings.

I'd try using a different probe (ORP & PH) before you replace them (or replace the unit)..

Back