Worth the trip? Worldwide corals in Orlando

Not specifically but if in the area.

Wait a few months and go for reefapalooza. That is worth the special trip.

I'll also be down there in March.. Getting in a day before my family from a business trip so my plan was to rent a car and spend the day shopping over there. Now im moving so might not buy anything :(

ghbrewer;1016343 wrote: You coming over to our area after all?

Yup, just came across a house we couldn't pass up in the neighborhood we wanted in woodstock. Pulled the trigger. Moving end of May so kids can finish the school year.

So, I am going to get an ATI fixture. Is the consensus that I should get the non-dimmable version?

ghbrewer;1016356 wrote: So, I am going to get an ATI fixture. Is the consensus that I should get the non-dimmable version?

I vote yes, really don't see the need for dimmable with T5's. What about that white Giesemann fixture?

tonymission;1016346 wrote: Yup, just came across a house we couldn't pass up in the neighborhood we wanted in woodstock. Pulled the trigger. Moving end of May so kids can finish the school year.

When I read this all I could think was "wow we have some really cool corals moving in..."

I would go down there just for them. But if your already down there then yes. And also look up the other in the area. I can't remember the names

dball711;1016358 wrote: I vote yes, really don't see the need for dimmable with T5's. What about that white Giesemann fixture?

Haha, I posted in the wrong thread...

Nevertheless, I am just concerned about the availability of parts for the Giesseman fixture. If a ballast or two goes out, don't want to have to wait weeks for one to come in. Although, I probably could just use a standard workhorse ballast.

Also, I might want to add reefbrites later on, so those would look odd on the Giesseman. They look good on the ATI.

Yes it's worth the visit. There is another place too, Ocean Blue in Winter Park.

Both are extremely hazardous to your wallet.

Jenn

It was quite the underwhelming experience for me as I was expecting so much more. And I don't like the blue LED lit tanks, so there DTs didn't do it for me either. But, they were packed and obviously sell a ton of frags, so I'm certainly in the minority.

For me, it was like Pompei: not as cool as I'd thought it would be, but something I had to go see while I was there. Glad it's been crossed off the list, but that's about it!

Skriz;1016434 wrote: It was quite the underwhelming experience for me as I was expecting so much more. And I don't like the blue LED lit tanks, so there DTs didn't do it for me either. But, they were packed and obviously sell a ton of frags, so I'm certainly in the minority.

For me, it was like Pompei: not as cool as I'd thought it would be, but something I had to go see while I was there. Glad it's been crossed off the list, but that's about it!

LOL Just proving my point on our differences. :thumbs: To me, Pompei was a place I went to see because I was there. Didn't think I would be impressed. After having been, I want to go back and spend a couple days instead of only a few hours. Found it amazing. Espcially the "Advertising" techniques used in certain establishments and the means by which they portrayed status at the entries to their homes. I would have thought you would especially like that part. hehehehehe

dball711;1016359 wrote: When I read this all I could think was "wow we have some really cool corals moving in..."

No shame in that! Where do you live?
My potential frag room will double in size and right below where I want to put a display in the living room. Might not have as much extra money anymore though!
I just hope I don't kill everything in the move. Might be buying some help from whoever is willing when the time comes.

ghbrewer;1016356 wrote: So, I am going to get an ATI fixture. Is the consensus that I should get the non-dimmable version?

As an accidental owner of both I would say the dimmable is a waste of money. I could see it being nice to the human eye for ramping down in the evening, but will kill your bulbs sooner and not benefit your corals at all.

Back