Would clay cause issues in a reef tank?

db366

Reaction score
I have a pottery studio and access to tons of leftover clay from my wife. I was thinking of creating some ledges that I could either glue onto the wall of the tank or mount it some other way. I don't know if it would leach anything in saltwater through (thinking like fresh concrete causing ph issues). It will be fired and I could coat it with a clear glaze if needed.

Also I have talked to some other potters about making the clay porous, I was told sawdust is the trick which I just so happen to have a ton of. So would it filter if I were to cause it to be porous from the sawdust burning off in the kiln?

Sorry very specific questions, this might just be one of those test and see situations.

I know certain aquarists have used clay pots in tanks for breeding clowns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spawning report: Lightning Maroon Clowns

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know about the clay but @snarky shark is correct, folks use terracotta pots all the time. If you want to go down this road, I would encourage you to submit an ICP test to get levels before you add the fired pots to the tank. This will give you a base line and might be helpful in the future if something does go sideways. As to porosity, adding some sawdust and burning it out would certainly create more surface area for the good bacteria to attach to. I've never thought about it but it does make sense and sound like a good idea.

I have been researching this very recently. I'd stick to the white clays to avoid trace metals. I would be interested in some thin 1/16" thick 3"x3" tiles fi you have the capability. If you think about it, anytime we drop a frag plug in a tank, it's a low fire clay of some type.

Back