Would my current skimmer be okay on my new, bigger tank for a while?

Nooooooooob1

Reaction score
Upgrading from a 40g(+ 10g sump) to 125g(+ 40g sump). Have a Reef Octopus 100-HOB that takes about a month for the collection cup to fill.

I'd say I have a pretty light bioload. 6 small fish, 5 small mixed corals, cleaner shrimp, emerald crab, and cuc.

I was about to purchase a newer, bigger Reef Octopus skimmer, but got to thinking if I could hold off on that for a few months, I could invest more in some better lighting now(2x AP700).

Would I be able to use this skimmer for a few months on that new tank?

Then no, that skimmer won't hold up to the load. It just can't process enough water through it per hour so the nasties will buildup in the system. It will also struggle to oxygenate the water column. You'll end up watching those nice lights grow all kinds of stuff you don't want :confused:

Then no, that skimmer won't hold up to the load. It just can't process enough water through it per hour so the nasties will buildup in the system. It will also struggle to oxygenate the water column. You'll end up watching those nice lights grow all kinds of stuff you don't want :confused:
Ok good point. I will keep an eye out here for a used one of the proper size then. Thanks!

That skimmer is rated for up to 105 gallons (presumably at a lighter load). It was really overpowered for your previous setup considering you had such a light bioload. Are you going to have a refugium, mechanical filtration, sufficient biological filtration, and will you be doing regular water changes? If so, I think you will be fine, especially since you are only talking about a few months. I have heard Randy from BRS say three times in recent videos that a skimmer is not as important as it once was and suggest that you could even do without, as long as you have other means of export and break down excess nutrients.

I have heard Randy from BRS say three times in recent videos that a skimmer is not as important as it once was and suggest that you could even do without, as long as you have other means of export and break down excess nutrients.
But you'd need a lot of surface agitation for gas exchange along with a robust fuge running, which takes time as the system matures.

Another option is to add another skimmer, until you can get your dream skimmer.

Just a suggestion, but I'd spend the money on needed/required hardware before increasing the bio-load. This can be an unforgiving hobby for the organisms in our charge. Patience may be the most important thing you ever put into an aquarium. -my $0.02

Just a suggestion, but I'd spend the money on needed/required hardware before increasing the bio-load. This can be an unforgiving hobby for the organisms in our charge. Patience may be the most important thing you ever put into an aquarium. -my $0.02

+1

Yeah you’re right. I think I’ve found a solution with the lights that will allow me to get a real skimmer now/soon. Thanks

Back