Would this be enough light?

mapleredta

Market
Reaction score
Its going over my 135 and i mainly want SPS and a rbta. here is the
a> thanks for the help everybody.

I don't think that VHO's are very popular as a primary lighting source. I think doing a T5 retro is a better bet.

I would go with a MH/T5 or VHO combo depending on the depth of your tank.

I would use a combination of MH/T-5's or go all T-5's. There are a lot of members on here that are keeping SPS tanks with all T-5 systems. It really depends on your budget. Also are you going to place your lighting in a canopy or suspend it? If you are considering using MH's in a canopy you will need a chiller to compensate for the heat build up, most likely. With T-5's there is alot less heat build up and could be controlled with fans. Placement of the tank will also dictate part of this, as ambient room temperature will also cause you a temperature issue.

A thought, get a plan going on what you want to accomplish. You have the tank (or Sal does, at any rate). Make a list of corals that you would like (SPS & RBTA), tank placement(is the room typically hot/cold, window near it), filtration (sump, skimmer, refugium, PO4 reactor), lighting (MH, MH/T5, T-5), support equipment(Ca Rx, ATO, Kalk Rx, chiller, return pump, in-tank flow, heater, aquarium controller), decide what "you" think you need or are willing to budget. Then publish a build thread, list your equipment and your thoughts. The members here will be more than willing to "critique" your plans and offer their insights. Its just a thought :up:

Back