Wow Alk... Need help

snowmansnow

Market
Reaction score
Ok... So..I have been around a while and can help out most new reefers... I've had some degree of success, but I'm STUMPED!

My alk is dropping to a steady 5.5 DKH.
I'm dosing soda ash compound ... Dissolved the poured in each day.

There is a chalky precipitate on my glass...

I haven't really encountered this

Any help is greatly appreciated

Post here or text me I you have my number

Gotta solve this fast

Making water for water changes right now

Thanks

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

4a4511767297f829aa8d1bc33ea993c6.jpg
alt="" />

Just a couple of thoughts. I would stop dosing and do a series of larger than normal water changes, to try and rebalance everything out.. Are you seeing precipitation on your pumps and heaters as well? I suspect your just precipitating it out as fast as you add it. Have you double checked your Calcium if it's too high it will drop your Alkalinity level. You can only have so many ppm of each before one gets too high and drives down the other. How's your magnesium levels? If it's too low Alkalinty won't hold. Have you had a chance to verify your testing results versus your testing kits?

Also how are performing dosing? Calcium during the day and Alkalinity at night? If they are dosed to closely to each other you get precipitation. When you are dosing Alkalinity are you doing it over several hours? If you dose too much at once can precipitate out as well.

instead of trying to chase ALK, do large water changes to "Reset" everything. Check your test kit too; many ALK issues are contributed to faulty test kits (this includes ph, Ca, & Mg).

What are the other levels?
What salt are you using?
How are you dosing trace elements?
FTS, por favor.

Bcavalli;1069078 wrote: Just a couple of thoughts. I would stop dosing and do a series of larger than normal water changes, to try and rebalce everything out.. Are you seeing precipitation on your pumps and heaters as well? I suspect your just precipitating it out as fast as you add it. Have you double checked your Calcium if it's too high it will drop your Alkalinity level. You can only have so many ppm of each before one gets too high and drives down the other. How's your magnesium levels? If it's too low Alkalinty won't hold. Have you had a chance to verify your testing results versus your testing kits?

On the water changes already .
Is it the soda ash? Should I dose alk w sodium bicarbonate ?

Skriz;1069081 wrote: instead of trying to chase ALK, do large water changes to "Reset" everything. Check your test kit too; many ALK issues are contributed to faulty test kits (this includes ph, Ca, & Mg).

What are the other levels?
What salt are you using?
How are you dosing trace elements?
FTS, por favor.

Hey man
Testing alk with a checker and a nylos kit to confirm. They both read the same
The other kits are Red Sea pro for MG and Nylos for Ca.
2ac6944051f6f21d52192bd701b7d171.jpg
alt="" />

I agree an the water changes: I'm not really chasing the alk, but just trying to maintain a level while I get it figured out.

Something is bonkers.:.. That's for sure

And I hate putting up fts when things look poor... But maybe it will give someone a clue

Because they are in different posts.. Here are the common levels... As far as trace stuff goes.... I really don't know

Alk: 5.5 DKH
Ca: 420
Mg: 1400~

No3 ~undetected
Po4 ~ undetected

d047c020ef9ecd3db8c21d07342df0e7.jpg
alt="" />
Polyp extension is still good...
But I don't want to hang here for long

Btw... That white stuff on the glass is hard........ Not easily removed.....?

Ok. This happened after I got some new CA in and brought the levels up in Ca....
Has to be linked to that

SnowManSnow;1069082 wrote: On the water changes already .
Is it the soda ash? Should I dose alk w sodium bicarbonate ?

I think the only difference between Soda Ash & Bicarbonate it just reduces pH. Maybe someone else more experienced to chime in on that. I'd just keep doing water changes and balance it all out. You can get everything back in balance pretty easily. I'm not sure if it's possible but is the soda ash bad?

What calculator are you using? I use BRS, seems to be pretty accurate.
You can run an Alk test before dosing (do it in your water change barrel or even a bucket of salt water) and then shortly after to verify your dosing rate is accurate. :)

SnowManSnow;1069074 wrote: Ok... So..I have been around a while and can help out most new reefers... I've had some degree of success, but I'm STUMPED!

My alk is dropping to a steady 5.5 DKH.
I'm dosing soda ash compound ... Dissolved the poured in each day.

There is a chalky precipitate on my glass...

I haven't really encountered this

Any help is greatly appreciated

Post here or text me I you have my number

Gotta solve this fast

Making water for water changes right now

Thanks

So your only dosing alk ONE time per day???

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I only need a little... When things are working right

SnowManSnow;1069087 wrote: Because they are in different posts.. Here are the common levels... As far as trace stuff goes.... I really don't know

Alk: 5.5 DKH
Ca: 420
Mg: 1400~

No3 ~undetected
Po4 ~ undetected

Just to be sure:
5.5 meq/L or DKH?

I'd quit tinkering.

Do regular water changes and buffer pH if it's needed - with REAL pH buffer, not granny's home remedy, and let the tank find its equilibrium.

If stuff isn't ticked-off looking, keep your hands out of it and resist the urge to test everything every day and let it be for 2-3 weeks.

Most times, in my experience, this resolves the problem or at least gets levels close to where they should be, at which time you can gently dial it in if it's needed.

This is supposed to be fun, remember? Stressing out over numbers and tweaking everything constantly sucks the joy out of it.

It may seem counter-intuitive, but every time you dose for one thing, it has an effect on something else. Let them find their balance.

Jenn

Skriz;1069401 wrote: And what's your ph? I don't see that listed here.

It follows the alk ... If it's super low it will be high 7s... When it's right it sits around 8.3

Back