wow!

glxtrix

Market
Reaction score
So I recieved my new 175W SE MH's with the Iwasaki 15K's......wow I'm impressed, these lamps look great! They have an ultra white look to them with a hint of blue. Thanks Mike for talkin me into getting these....the Ushio's might be crying that I've used another brand but I think they will be ok :)

I love the 15K spectrum and have a 250 15K XM over my 25. The only downside is that near as I can tell from Sanjay Joshi's HM tests, 15K's have the lowest PAR of all the 10K, 15K, 20K bulbs.

suposedly tho the iwasaki's are getting amazing PAR readings. I'm gonna have to get that PAR meter again and see how they hold up.

I would jump if they made 250w... I am envious and independant testing has supported out Mike's statements about these bulbs.

glxtrix;38807 wrote: suposedly tho the iwasaki's are getting amazing PAR readings. I'm gonna have to get that PAR meter again and see how they hold up.

Where the heck did you find them?!?!

Their PAR output surpasses a lot of 250w bulbs at similar K ratings... :)

175w 15k Iwasaki's get an 86 PPFD on IceCap e-ballasts

250w 14k Hamilton's get 69 PPFD on IceCap e-ballasts

250w 14k Phoenix (shielded) get 73 PPFD on IceCap e-ballasts...

(all data from Dr. Joshi's website: http://www.reeflightinginfo.arvixe.com/selectperformancedata.php">http://www.reeflightinginfo.arvixe.com/selectperformancedata.php</a>)

however, i suspect you have a lot less blue in the 15k's despite their temp. rating.

yeah the blue really isnt a lot at all, which is nice, its a nice cool hyper white color. I got the bulbs from hellolights.com I think they have a sale on them, or atleast they did. yup, still are:

a>

These are not your ordinary 15k bulbs - Great Par!

Unfortunately when I contacted Iwasaki about the possibility of them manufacturing these in other flavors (250w / 400w), their response was "not planned at this time"

Another benefit may be longevity, if they hold true to form with all other bulbs manufactured by Iwasaki. The 6500k Iwasaki bulbs usually don't have a color shift for 18 to 24 months!

wow that would be nice......but first off impression of them,amazing!

mufret;38823 wrote: Another benefit may be longevity, if they hold true to form with all other bulbs manufactured by Iwasaki. The 6500k Iwasaki bulbs usually don't have a color shift for 18 to 24 months!

Unfortunately, according to their specs (
a>) the bulbs have 40%-50% less average lifespan than their other MH bulbs.

6000 hrs still works for me! That still works out to much longer than I've gotten with any other bulb given the 8 hrs per day I'm currently running my MHs. I picked up a couple of used bulbs a while back that supposedly had 6 to 8 months on them when I got them. I've been running one over a frag tank for at least 6 months and have not noticed any shift in color. So there's at least a potential for them lasting longer than the "average" bulb.

George;38802 wrote: I love the 15K spectrum and have a 250 15K XM over my 25. The only downside is that near as I can tell from Sanjay Joshi's HM tests, 15K's have the lowest PAR of all the 10K, 15K, 20K bulbs.

These bulbs have 76 par. The highest of all 175w bulbs and close to many 250w bulbs.

leveldrummer;38891 wrote: if you like the 15k color, try to find some hamilton 14k's or IF you can find aquaconnect 14k they both have a very high par. well not very high, but much higher then the xm's, great color too, im running the hami's right now.
I'm probably going back to 10K and T5 actinics when I get my 60 cube going. The intensity of a 10K will allow me to skip having a 400w bulb.

Back