Wrasse ID

enderg60

Market
Reaction score
Got two of these guys this weekend and I dont think they were labeled right. Anyone know what it is?

20160720_190132_zpsagwkzc7q.jpg
alt="" />

20160720_190847_zpsuuoagxbe.jpg
alt="" />

20160720_190916_zpsrzomm1fi.jpg
alt="" />

Beats me, so many similar species it's hard to be sure sometimes.

They're pretty, though! I love wrasses.

Jenn

It doesn't look like a wrasse to me, more like an anthias or a basslet

Found it, its a juvenile Creole Wrasse. They get about 8-9" so one of these guys will need to go.

i was thinking anthias as well. but ive never seen one like that either so idk.

I think they had it correct. The adults are awesome!!! I looked at them for my tank but like you said way, way too big for mine.

Yeah they did have it correct I just was spelling it wrong when I tried to look them up. Go figure.

They actually do look pretty nice but Im seeing some info on them being aggressive as adults so both may have to go.

I already made the mistake of getting a small cigar wrasse thinking it was a peppermint hog and that PINA flips over every coral and rock not glued down.

After some research there is not much info on these guys. The limited info I have found so far says they can max out at 12" but usually dont go past 6-8" in captivity.

No reports of them going after inverts or small fish, just warnings from sites selling them(might just be for CYA). Being a planktivore doubt they would go after decent size shrimp or fish larger than 1/2"

Poor survival rates seem to be due to them not shipping well, or not eating on arrival but I dont see any actual info on how long anyone has kept one that was eating.

I also found one video of an adult in a 400g reef as well which is a good sign.

And lastly I just got home and both of them are out and about and eating pellets.

Im gonna poke around and see if I can dig up any more info, but I might just keep them and see what happens.

Back