Wrasses in 40 gallon advice needed

ecoreefguy

Supporting
Reaction score
Anyone have experience with multiple fairy wrasses in smaller system. My stand should be completed by next weekend. So I'm preparing for livestock. The plan is a sps dominate sps tank with 1 pair of clown and a few rare wrasses. Rock and coral I've collected has been sitting in a tote ( I believe its around 60 gallons. I've already purchases my rhomboid and flames pair( I might buy one more flame female). All are eating pellets and frozen and showing no signs of aggression. I would like to add a pair of lineatus and a single blue line. Been testing with the skimmer And equipment I'm going to use on the tank, even with heavy feeding my levels currently are still acceptable ( 480 calcium, 1250-1350 mag... I can't get a more accurate reading for some reason, nitrates are 0-5, phosphate as of now are 0 according to Hannah so most likely it's .05ish.

With all that's said, would my stock of choice be possible in that size tank?

The tank is not large enough for what you already have, IMO.

stacy22;1012055 wrote: The tank is not large enough for what you already have, IMO.

You think they won't have room to move , food source, aggression or?

Oh I forgot to mention, they are currently the size of my pinky and will be going into my larger display later.

Is your larger display up and running? If not you need to get it going and use the 40g as a quarantine tank. You have wrasses that swim fast and can hurt themselves(broken jaw), they need at least a 90-125g, especial with as many as you plan to collect. I'm not trying to bust your chops! You need to buy fish for the tank you have up not the tank you plan on, patience is very hard but watching your fish die because you didn't research their needs.....:eek: They also need a 4" sandbed and a mesh lid, they will go thru a egg crate lid. Holley

Fairy and flasher wrasses tend to be very active and swim in the open water column. A 40g doesn't really provide them much room. Also, some of the males can be a bit aggressive with each other especially when they are competing for space.

Unfortunately my display will be be shipped until summer. I guess I will stay with what I have for time being. As for aggression I have to keep an eye out for that. I haven't seen any signs of chasing on my web cam or any damaged fins.

Back