Wrasses

Al Sayani

Reaction score
I just read that some wrasse sleep in the sand bed. I have a bare bottom tank, with lots of small rock openings for the fish to hide. Will it be ok to add a couple of male “flasher” wrasses in the tank? Any suggestions?

Al

Flasher wrasses are not the burrowing type so you'll be fine by adding them. They make lil mucous cocoons at night which melt away in the morning. If you do end up wanting to keep burrowing wrasses, then its usually best to put a container with sand somewhere in the tank where its not visible. Keep in mind they are messy though and will often that sand will get everywhere. Other than that... honestly I do have 2 utility wrasses that are both the burrowing type in my frag tank and its barebottom. The wrasses just find a spot and bed down without burrowing. So far so good.

Last edited:
While there is a post about wrasses...I am interested in getting one for my tank. What are your suggestions?

I've had all manner of wrasses... and I like the regular yellow corris for functionality the most. They're good at picking the rockwork for buggers and they are non-aggressive. Also if you don't have a yellow tang they provide that bright yellow which is hard to come by in a reef tank. If you don't mind a lil aggression then the mystery wrasse is my favorite for its look/color and functionality. Finally for a functional wrasse, I do enjoy the radiant wrasse the most. It gives you amazing colors and its great at picking for buggers as well much like its close relative the yellow coris.

If you're just looking for ornamental wrasses then there are multiple types in the fairy wrasse family that I find pretty amazing... If you have a smaller tank a harem of flasher wrasses is also great to add. They tend to "flash" more though when you have multiple females in the tank of the same species so I'd always recommend adding those as trios... Actually, the same applies for fairy wrasses... They don't flash but its the supermales that are stunningly beautiful and bright... when they don't have females to impress around them they tend to lose that amazing coloration.

Back