Xenia evaporating. Grrr.

mitchelliii

Market
Reaction score
Anyone else ever have this happen? Water checks out. Not really good about changes, but the tank has been flourishing! in a period of 1-2 days the Xenia is all but gone. pom pom zenia is fine, finger leather is pissed, other big frag of leather (from the main one) is fine. rest of tank seems fine. Only think I note is my tank got pretty got the other day per the warmer weather.

Anyone anyone?
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
135831=8414-tanklogs.jpg
>
135831=8414-tanklogs.jpg
class="gc-images" title="tanklogs.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

I had the same happen to my tank. I had huge grasping xenias and in a couple of weeks almost all were gone. I checked params and found my ph was low and I was skimming a lot. I started raising ph and skimming less (making my water a little dirtier) and I have a lot of the xenia's growing back. Other corals seem to be getting better now also.

As a footnote to the original post... When looking at his graphs, you need to know that Orp is not hooked up so not reading correctly and PH was not calabrated so it was reading about 9 +/-

Oh that's right. but as a footnote to your footnote....and I think that'll about do it for the footnotes.

:)
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
135868=8415-big-soccer-kick.jpg
>
135868=8415-big-soccer-kick.jpg
class="gc-images" title="big-soccer-kick.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Xenia seem to hate super clean water, low pH or pH swings. I can't keep the stuff myself.

You got a 6 degree temp swing going on there over the course of a week. Can you bring this down to a 2 degree swing? That should help somewhat for the entire reef.

Take it from me..Xenia's love dirty water. Nitrates around 5-20PPM works the best.

Interesting topic, especially the skimming too much topic. Does anyone run their skimmer on a timer? I currently run my Remora/Mag 3 24/7, and that's on a ~40 gal setup.

I have lots of xenia...somewhere in the 30 head range and I skim. I would blame it on parameters fluxing.

The skimmer thing is pretty intriguing. The tank I inherited had a built-in sump skimmer assembly, and although it worked pretty well, I always thought I could use more...

I added a second skimmer in the center of the sump, so that the water was re-skimmed prior to return to the tank. It certainly increased the volume of skimmate, but severl of the softies seem to have just kind of stopped growing right in their tracks.

I might turn off one of the skimmers and see if things improve.

That may be my case too, i have a coralife 65 skimmer on 75g system....it skims but not the best i've seen. That could be why my softies are growing well, xenia, gsp, zoo's, shrooms.

My Zenia grows like crazy..I have 0 nitrates and skim with a Euroreef CS8-3 on a 92G corner bowfront.I actually had to pull and flush most of My elongate Zenia it got so out of control.It has almost become a nuscance.My pom pom has grown into a patch about the diameter of a basketball.Can`t bring Myself to flush it,but may have to if it spreads much more.

Back