Xenia on Clam

echinatl

Market
Reaction score
Ugh best way to get it off? I'm hesitant to use anything on it to try to kill it since it's literally on the clam shell.

The number one thing: DO NOT take the clam out of the water to do this. Air + clam == baaaaaad.

Second, you may find that after yanking, the xenia comes back. They're tenatious like that and can grow from stubs like leather corals. If that's the case, there's no harm in a brisk brushing of the clam's shell with a stiff brush to scour the spot. Clam shells are very hard calcium and it doesn't hurt the clam as long as you leave it under water and don't scrape the clam's mantle or byssal gland (where the 2 shell halves meet at the bottom).

why, ive had xenia, leathers and GSP on clams and they never seems to care.

Anyway, just rip it off and use a hard tooth brush to get the rest.

Quite true. Unless the growth on the shell is shading the mantle or irritating the mantle such that the clam doesn't open all the way, there's no problem in leaving it. However, unlike leathers and GSP, xenia is both tall (relatively) and encrusting.

ares;279432 wrote: I would remove it while you still can, or eventually it may out compete the clam for food if it becomes overrun.

From what Im told Xenia doesnt eat anything except light..Seen that on quiet a few web sites..I could be wrong..

Thanks for all the replies guys. At first I thought it was cool. I mean the clam is on the other side of the tank, I was impressed it made it over there, but as it grew it started bothering the mantel so it no longer fully extends. He's stuck on the rock pretty good and it was hard to get scissors down there to fully remove it. I was thinking about latching on some epoxy to make a little cover over them and let them die out on their own and then remove the little light shield. I've done this on rocks where they spring up. As long as you don’t press down too hard with the epoxy it won't stick and just makes a hard "skin" over anything. I was also going to add some Joes Juice to the remnants but am concerned that adding that so close to the clam will affect it. I’m going to try the brush thing too, that’s a good idea.

I have the same issue with some Kenya Tree. I scraped everything off with a blade and thought everything was okay until I noticed it was growing back yesterday. I am going to try the brush this weekend and try get everything off before it grows back. What a PITA!

jcusmarine;279494 wrote: I have the same issue with some Kenya Tree. I scraped everything off with a blade and thought everything was okay until I noticed it was growing back yesterday. I am going to try the brush this weekend and try get everything off before it grows back. What a PITA!

Good luck! if it's in a flat spot though, grab a tube of epoxy and just make a little pizza shape with your hand, and then lay it on top of where it's growing. If you don't press hard, it'll form a tight seal over the rock and wont stick. Then after 2 weeks you should be able to remove it easily and the "roots" will be gone. That's how it works with my Xenia adventurers....

Back