Xenia's problem

ga-peaches72

Market
Reaction score
I have had them in my tank for awhile now. But I have one to die every month to month and a half. Now I am down to only one healthy looking and one and that looks like it is going to die any day now. Any ideas on what is causing this to happen? Could there be to much light from just pc's and T5's? I had one to die before I put the T5's on. I just had the water tested at my lfs and he said it looked great. Any help would be great. Also I did just have a problem with the black and white damsels eating the ends of the xenia's but they are now gone for good from my tank. I am at work now so I can't get a pic of them.

If your tank is to clean you may need to feed them for them to live. Phytoplankton works well but there are many types of food to give them.

I bought some of that this past weekend. and I hae put it in the tank twice this week also I have added some iodine this week.

I have never had luck with xenia. Last time I thought I would, it looked like it was leaning towards a rock to split on, I nudged the rock about 1 inch closer and the thing melted 2 days later...stupid xenia lol

I am always up for trying though :)

I used to have a xenia haven and they all started to dying. My skimmer was doing an excellent job cleaning the tank. I reduced the time the skimmer was on and they started coming back. They like dirtier water. Now I have to harvest them every once in awhile.

I have had my skimmer off all week. But I will leave it off a little longer I was affraid that the fish and every thing else would not like it to dirty. But thanks for the idea. Hope it will be enough to save my last one.

GA-PEACHES72;169223 wrote: I have had my skimmer off all week. But I will leave it off a little longer I was affraid that the fish and every thing else would not like it to dirty. But thanks for the idea. Hope it will be enough to save my last one.

I only have my skimmer off for 6 hours a day! You may want to feed them.

xenia love dirty tanks.. they will suffer in a low nutrient environment. Turning off the skimmer is a good idea but leave it off too long and your other coral might suffer. Try testing your iodine level it might be low, in which case its time for a water change or dosing iodine. Your ph also effects this beautiful coral but more with its pulsing. xenia along with my toadstool are my water quality indicators in my tank..if they're not doing so hot i start testing parameters,

My blue xenia crashed for no apparent reason last weekend. I cought it quick and one huge water change later it is recovering nicely. I am actually going to sell it when it recovers fully. I do two many waterchanges and keep to sterill of an aquarium for xenia I guess. I would rather keep the water clean for the benifit of growth on my SPS and LPS.

Back