yay sump...boo flood

stickx911

Market
Reaction score
I finally got my 5g sump built. Skimmer works, pumps work, hoses connected! woohoo. Well I decided I'd try to hook my inflow directly to my overflow>sump box (to test connections w/o bothering fish/corals) and to my avail...it poured over the top in record time. I'm glad I have sealed hard wood...

so to tag a question on, would it have worked had I just set it up right? Or am I correct in thinking my return pump is way to strong for my overflow? Its a 700gph (second hand) pump, and I thought with a 4 foot head, it may be a little less powerful.

Here are some pictures of the sump!
my.php
>
img1460ca5.th.jpg
alt="" /></a>
my.php
>
img1461sy5.th.jpg
alt="" /></a>

I just have the pump raised about 2 inches, and I have a layer of seachem matrix (I plan to add some LR or just more matrix) under a grate to allow some beneficial bacteria to grow. I also squeezed my skimmer in there. Its all a really tight fit, but with a closed loop, it works surprisingly well! :up: I do not have room for anything else under my tank (this is a tight sqeeze) and I figure I really should get a skimmer running to suplement my emperor 400.

here is one with it next to the tiny hole it will fit into.
my.php
>
img1462pp9.th.jpg
alt="" /></a>

And one of the 55 it will support
my.php
>
img1463ci0.th.jpg
alt="" /></a>

dawgdude;184188 wrote: Looks good, I will say that that skimmer probably wont be able to keep up AND I would definitly buy an ATO because those skimmers are very touchy and need a constant water level to skim properly. I would look for a CLSS 125 since those Coralife skimmers are grossly overrated. I wouldnt put a 65 on anything bigger than a 30g.

I will upgrade soon enough. I mean, its running off of a powerhead...so I do not expect miracles, but when one comes along and the price is right I will be happy to move on. I've been looking into an ATO, and will likely do that first, as I loose a good bit of water in a week, and I am trying to get everything as stable as possible. Thanks for the suggestion.

because my sump is minuscule, are there any HOB's (like the prizms) that would work for a 55+5. I do not think I'd be able to get any other skimmer in this bucket (with everything else and a little room for overflow error). I know this has been answered before, but I am just trying to get some ideas for where to go with this next.

thanks again. I forgot the coralife can hang on the back. Should I just scrap the 5g bucket Idea? I have a spare emperor I could fill with that matrix or whatever to use as like a hob fuge...

Ok. That sounds like a good plan. Would 2 emperors be too much flow? or...

I cant get the link to post but its in my build thread. Look for the fishing line mod. Not sure if you can mesh mod the coralife because of the impeller design but I dont know.

johnr2604;184210 wrote: I cant get the link to post but its in my build thread. Look for the fishing line mod. Not sure if you can mesh mod the coralife because of the impeller design but I dont know.

The pump I am using is a penguin 1140. http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+4585+4628&pcatid=4628">http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+4585+4628&pcatid=4628</a>

The impeller looks like it can be modified. I will see soon enough though. Is the fishing line method easier than the mesh mod with the acrylic disk?

nm. I see how you worked the fishing line. I do not think that would do...unless I cut my own notches in the impeller.

are there any local places to buy enkamat, can it be purchased at lowes or home depot or an independent?

its cool, thanks for the idea tho. whenever I can upgrade to a good pair (skimmer/pump) I will try that if I get a CLSS

stickx911;184245 wrote: are there any local places to buy enkamat, can it be purchased at lowes or home depot or an independent?

I have some if you are going to the next meeting.

Back