Yellow Polyp question

floridaboy704

Market
Reaction score
Hey guys... I have what you all will consider a newbie question l guess. I have a small cluster of yellow polyps (7 heads) and they were doing great... even budding off new heads recently. Well when I first had them my emerald crab decapitated one of them because he was grouchy I guess, so I returned the emerald to the LFS. Since the polyps have been doing great until today.

After the lights were fully on for about an hour or so this morning I did my checks and everything was open and looking good except for the polyps. Only one head was open and the others were shrunken down and drawn into themselves. Well I actually didnt think much about this and figured maybe a hermit or snail crawled over them... but later this afternoon I noticed that they still were not open (except for the one head) they had no change. I tested and all the params are fine and like i said all the other corals are out and looking great!

Any ideas on this, does this happen from time to time or are they dying?

I have seen My palys and zoas do this on accasion.I also have some yellow polyps I am pretty sure have done this too.They will probably be fine.

Ok thanks for the quick reply! I have seen them contract numberous times, just never stay that way all day. It was strange that the one head stayed open and all the others were closed. I guess I just need to relax a little lol.

Another possibility could be zoa pox. If you see any white spots when they are closed up there could be some infection. I've had some zoas infected that I picked up from another LFS but not sure if they will infect yellow polyps but guess they could.
bob

Barbara, I examined them during the day and I didnt see any reason. No spots, nudies, etc. Maybe just today was a finicky day as you say :) I hope they are back to normal tmw. Well actually tmw wont be such a good day for any of my corals... its re-aquascape day i think! It shouldnt be that bad though, just moving a couple of rocks and not the whole thing :p I just need to be able to get the current and light lovers closer to the top.

Anyway thanks again all!! I will post tmw and let you know if the little buggers opened up.

Well today 2.5 more heads have opened up to full glory! (one of the heads is half open) but so far it looks like it would be back to normal soon. maybe it just had a bad day.

Back