Yellow-tail damsels: mass deaths

longboarder

Market
Reaction score
I purchased 5 YT damsels and put them into my tank on Friday. They were eating right away and seemed to be healthy and content all the way up to sometime last night. When the lights went off at 9pm, everything appeared fine. When the lights came on at 10am today, I had 4 dead and 1 MIA. On top of that, the Kole Tang is being very shy this morning. He comes out from his cave occasionally but he isn't really eating; not even nibbling at rocks. He ate like a pig yesterday. He's just now getting used to eating prepared fish food, as he just "moved here" from Hawaii a few weeks ago. He appears to be swimming normally. The Hippo Tang was shy earlier but seems to be back to normal now.

I checked parameters this morning. They are as follows, with the parameters from 11/26 in parentheses:
SG 1.025 (1.026)
Temp 79.8 (80.7)
pH 8.07 (8.07)
NH3 0 (0)
Alk 4.0 meq/l (4.0)
Nitrite 0 (0)
Nitrate 10 (5)
Ca 380 (390)
Iodide 0 (0)

The only substantial swing I see is the nitrates, but as I understand it 10 is still in the OK range.

Last water change 11/23/08 15%

I have done a couple of things differently over the past few days/week:
Started feeding Rod's about 2 weeks ago, adding Focus and metronidazole because of white spots on the Hippo.
Started using Garlic Guard and Vitality (Vit C and amino acids) with the Rod's on Friday.
Started adding Kent Iodine (75% of recommended dosage daily) about 2 weeks ago.
Added Kent Calcium, Kent Strontium & Molybdenum, and Kent Pro Buffer dkH on Saturday at 75% of the recommended dosage.

The loss of the damsels isn't a big deal financially, but it worries me that something else may be going on. I thought those were about as hardy as SW fish get. Any recommendations about what to do, not do, test for, etc. would be appreciated.

Thanks.

stickx911;250153 wrote: tangs got 'em?

Maybe...I forgot to mention that I have two false percs. They appear just fine, but one has been slightly aggressive towards the Kole for the past 2-3 days.

dawgdude;250175 wrote: My bet is that they had something when they came in that got them. The stores usually get them in groups of 5-10 in massive bags so disease is common in damsels, usually they are hardy enough to make it through it. I look at damsels alot like chromis, I buy more than I want to have because I assume some will not make it. I blame it on the way they ship them and mass holding systems filled with aggressive fish.

Funny you mention that. The only other fish I've lost were chromies. Lost 6 of 7, then #7 jumped out of the tank.

nickskains;250199 wrote: Have any hitchhikers?

Not that I know of.

My Kole Tang died yesterday. Hippo isn't eating much at all; percs are barely eating. All the while, I had a QT tank set up that probably would have prevented all this if I had used it. After getting some advice, I think there is a good chance that the damsels had an internal parasite that they spread to the other fish in my tank. I hope this doesn't cause me to lose all my fish. I hope someone learns from my mistake: use your QT!

that sux, dude--my suggestion-do some bigger WC's over the next week or two-don't add anything new-just let everything kinda calm down. Another question is if the tank is being 'aerated'--in that some type of surface agitation is being done-either by a powerhead pointing to the top of the tank, a wet/dry filter working, etc. etc.

I have 5 Chromis you can have for free but you have to get them. They are in great health annd they are not afraid of the the aggressive.

Sorry to hear that.

Definitely use the QT. And slowly add fish every few weeks. I agree on watching the tank over the next week or 2. And keep an eye on your ammonia levels. If you didn't find all the dead fish, you will see a spike.

ericmcj31;251252 wrote: that sux, dude--my suggestion-do some bigger WC's over the next week or two-don't add anything new-just let everything kinda calm down. Another question is if the tank is being 'aerated'--in that some type of surface agitation is being done-either by a powerhead pointing to the top of the tank, a wet/dry filter working, etc. etc.

I'm definitely not going to add any fish until at least January. I thinkI have proper aeration. Didn't really have any problems until I added the damsels.

Oil_Fan;251277 wrote: Sorry to hear that.

Definitely use the QT. And slowly add fish every few weeks. I agree on watching the tank over the next week or 2. And keep an eye on your ammonia levels. If you didn't find all the dead fish, you will see a spike.

I check parameters at least weekly. You are right, I need to monitor ammonia closely for the time being.

LDYBKR;251261 wrote: I have 5 Chromis you can have for free but you have to get them. They are in great health annd they are not afraid of the the aggressive.

Thank you; that is a very kind and generous offer. I will wait before adding any fish for a while though...even free ones. I can't believe how attached I get to these little critters.

Dude. Don't sweat it. In this hobby you lose some, and then you lose some more... it's a helpless addiction.

I had my kole die too. I suggest letting your tank rest up until whatever is in it lives through and leaves. Sometimes animal got things on them and they end up transmitting things to the others... Clowns are pretty hardy, so they'll probably die last if it becomes inevitable.

I'd quarantine your healthy fish for about 90 days in order to keep them alive in a controlled environment and if they get sick you get to treat them and observe them better.

Sorry about your loss

Back